Once every few months, our great dev team here at Envato, turn their minds to hackweek where we band into small teams to work on ideas to solve any number of possible problems for our users or how we work here. At our last hackweek, Jordan, one of our great front-end devs proposed a project to allow users a way to get to Item Previews directly from the Item Listing page and to make it easier to save items and create/manage collections. Since then, we’ve worked on these ideas further and now we’re bringing them to life.
What are we doing?
Easier access to Item Previews – We know that for items that have a full screen preview like themes, web templates, some code and plugins, seeing this item in action through the preview is a significant part of deciding whether or not to buy or save an item for most users. Many users open lots of item preview tabs (sometimes 10s) to decide which ones are right for them. So rather than making users click from the item listings, into the item just so they can open the item preview, through a small eyecon (intentional) just under the thumbnail of every item listing, users will be able to launch the item preview without going into the item page. The Item Preview button will still be available on the Item Page.
Favorites and Collections – Thinking about the Marketplaces, we want nothing more than for our users to buy the great items provided by our authors. Just behind this, we want our users to save the items they like, so they can buy them later. Only a small proportion of our users even know you can save an item (currently called bookmark). It is hidden down the bottom right corner of the item page when logged in and not even visible when logged out. So we are:
- Introducing the “Favorite” action to the Item Listings Grid View, Item Listings List View and the Item page which allows users to save an item with 1-click.
- Retiring the “Bookmarks” terminology (we think it’s more applicable to web pages or apps) but keeping the idea of Collections. So you will be able to Favorite an item or add it to a collection (a folder/group of items).
- You’ll also be able to add an item to a collection or create a new collection from a lightbox/modal window whether on the Item or Item listings page.
- In the account navigation you’ll see a “Favorites” and “Collections” option instead of “Bookmarks”. This is where you’ll find the items you’ve Favorited or added to collections.
- We’ve redesigned these pages and made it easier to share a collection with a shareable link.
Why do we think these are good ideas?
Making Item Previews more easily accessible makes sense for the reasons mentioned above. Bringing extra prominence to saving items and allowing it to be done from the item listings pages, takes into account that users may make the decision to save at very different points in their navigation process either because of the user or the item type. For example, for a photo or graphic, a user may just need to hover over the thumbnail to see the item and decide they want to save it. For a theme or plugin, they are more likely to want to have a look at the item in more detail before making this decision.
Also, in the not too distant future we will be working on a shopping cart! So we have done some thinking about how the concepts of “Favorites” and “Collections” fit into the different ways users navigate and behave heading towards a purchase decision and how this might overlap (or not) with the concept of a shopping cart.
What happens to my existing “Bookmarks” and Collections?
Nothing. These will still be available on the Collections page through your account navigation. We have just removed the word “Bookmarks” to describe this area. If you had items saved in the “My Private Bookmarks” default folder, this will also be available through your Collections.
What about Private and Public Collections?
These concepts are staying the same except we’ve made it easier for you to share private collections. You should be able to share collections (with clients for example) without having to publish them to the Public Collections on the sites.
When is this happening?
We’re aiming to launch this early next week (commencing Monday, 16 December) and will update this post when we do.
A huge thanks to all of the team who worked on this especially Steve, Emmanuel, Jordan, Cath, Tom and Arman. There were many others across our Community, Support, Growth and Marketing teams who also contributed and this type of functionality has been mentioned by you the community too…thanks!
Lovely, looking forward to the updates. Not sure this is intentional but you may want to push “When is this happening” towards the first paragraph. While reading, I kept trying to checkout the new features and not finding them only to realize towards the end that it’s all coming next week
- Community Moderator
- Author had a Free File of the Month
- Most Wanted Bounty Winner
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Has been a member for 5-6 years
- Contributed a Blog Post
- Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
- Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
- Author was Featured
- Author has had an Item Featured
- Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
- Beta Tester
- Referred between 10 and 49 users
- Bought between 50 and 99 items
does this include roll-over previews for videohive?
Great update! I was waiting for this!
This is something i missed so much in my buyer days Great job!
Great work devs! Can’t wait for the shopping cart
Fantastic, I look forward to it being rolled out w/c 16th December!
Finally a great news that not make things worse for us authors. I like it!