1276 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+15 more
ChristineWilde Envato team says

Hey everyone,

I’m thinking about getting a MacBook Pro and upgrading the memory to 16gb. This is so I have portability and a decent working machine when home with the help of an extra monitor.

Has anyone got any experience with 3D modelling on a Mac? I use Cinema 4D. I’m trying to get a machine that caters for everything I want out of it. Web design, web developing, graphic design, illustration, 3d modelling and animation.

1113 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
3alisha says

Looking forward to know the answers to your question, as I am looking to upgrade myself. But I was told that macs run c4d pretty well.

Cheers!

51 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
iJatrat says

Hi Christine,

I myself have got an iMac i7 and a macBook Pro i7 as primary working station installed. I must say that although I do not do much animation and 3D-Modeling as primary work I found Adobe programs and especially Cinema 4D working like a charm and much better than on windows. I switched to Mac from Windows about two years ago and wiped off the dust from my Windows machine since then! If you have the budget then I would definitely recommend you upgrading to a macBook Pro. It will help you in all you mentioned from designing to developing. I use it for App Development in first place and as I already mentioned, it works like a charme. If you find to have any other questions, feel free to ask me!

Good luck with your choice!

1113 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
3alisha says

If you find to have any other questions, feel free to ask me! Good luck with your choice!

Hey mate !

Have you ever installed anything other than C4D as a 3d program.. As you might know i use 3dsMax, and there is no mac version.. Would running it on Bootcamp chop the performance on an i7 macbook pro ? Also i heard that macs overheat too much when running CPU -intensive programs.. I will be rendering stuff on it for as long as around an hour+ per image.. What do you think ?

I am really stuck at this point, as my situation is similar to Christine’s (but i use 3dsmax)

Thank you !

Cheers !

51 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
iJatrat says

If you find to have any other questions, feel free to ask me! Good luck with your choice!

Hey mate !

Have you ever installed anything other than C4D as a 3d program.. As you might know i use 3dsMax, and there is no mac version.. Would running it on Bootcamp chop the performance on an i7 macbook pro ? Also i heard that macs overheat too much when running CPU -intensive programs.. I will be rendering stuff on it for as long as around an hour+ per image.. What do you think ?

I am really stuck at this point, as my situation is similar to Christine’s (but i use 3dsmax)

Thank you !

Cheers !

Hey Ali!

Yes I tried that. In fact the truth is, if you do some heavy rendering the mac does get warm pretty soon. In your case of a macBook I would recommend you using one of those tables with an inbuilt ventilator to cool down the system. Using that will solve your problem as it is unique for notebooks only. My iMac doesn’t heat up at all. As for now 3DStudio Max does not support the Mac OS. However as you already recognized, there are solutions to that as well: 1. You could use Parallels Desktop to to launch a virtual machine operating on windows. So you would be simultaneously running Mac OSX and Windows. This solution would not be that effective considering huge renders. However if you just need to make simple changes, this would be the right option for you. 2. The next option would be using bootcamp which allows you to install any other operating system on your mac. All the drivers are also included in the mac installation disk so you do not have to fear any compatibility issues. After having installed Windows on your mac it will just work like any other Notebook with your specific specs. i.e. your i7 chip, your RAM , etc.. So I think you’ve got quite some flexibility using a mac. And laoo of performance should not be such a problem to fear in this case.

113 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
amardeep says

I would suggest Alienware (M17x R3 Laptop). Price almost similar to MacBook Pro (17-inch) but has faster processor(can turbo boost upto 3.5GHz speed), has more RAM memory & with better video card. Great config for graphic artists! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by