266 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+8 more
dejans says

Hello,

I recently got an email from an AJ client that a video of his in which he used my track “Missing You” is blocked due to copyrighted music. He sent me the link to a youtube video on which somebody sings over my original, and apparently they copyrighted it. Does anybody have an advice to what measures should I be taking to resolve this? Should I contact support about it or just write to YT?

p.s.: I messaged the channel where the video is at explaining the situation nicely, but in the case it fails, I’d like some tips where to take the next step. Thanks in advance.

1556 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says
1042 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Won a competition
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
AlumoAudio says

It sounds like they have registered your music with a digital fingerprinting program, claiming it as their own, and YouTube has flagged it up. I had a similar situation recently with someone singing on my tracks and selling it, so as part of my investigation, I contacted YouTube directly by completing a copyright infringement form. This one is for the UK where I live, so you’ll have to find the page for your country:

http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/en-GB/copyright-complaint.html

481 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

Ugh, what a headache. :mad: I hope this gets resolved for you.

266 posts
+8 more
dejans says

Okay, thanks a lot guys! AlumoAudio, I will do that. It seems they are selling the singed-over version AND my original instrumental version on iTunes, Amazon,...?! What the hell?

1476 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
LumenMedia says

Thiefs.

667 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Okay, thanks a lot guys! AlumoAudio, I will do that. It seems they are selling the singed-over version AND my original instrumental version on iTunes, Amazon,...?! What the hell?

When someone attempts to wrong another person, a force greater than we can imagine always sees to it that the wrongdoer receives some kind of retribution. Not only does the punishment fit the crime, but the longer it takes to show up, the greater the penalty. :)

It doesn’t do you any good to worry about things that are outside of your immediate control. The best thing to do is do what you can and then relax, knowing that the person who is committing the crime is about to be in a much sorrier state than you are right now.

If I were you, I’d just keep making music. Don’t let the ne’er-do-wells stop you from making great music. Thieves don’t just rob material riches, they rob you of your mental resources and energy as a by-product. They also keep you preoccupied and fearful of their next move. Do yourself a favor and let them wander into their own prisons. Most thieves are easily caught because there are no courses to my knowledge that teach successful theft.

Look at it this way: No thief would steal unless the thing they’re trying to steal is valuable. Your music then must be valuable. :)

Hope this helps you feel a bit better. ;)

“What you do to or for another person comes back in kind, greatly multiplied.”—Napoleon Hill

266 posts
+8 more
dejans says

I’m in touch with Joel, and he’s been a real help, he’s a great guy, I will follow his advice and see where it goes… Thanks Joel! :)

@Blinn: Thanks for the support mate, the problem is I can’t just let this go because buyers who purchased the track legally might run into trouble with YT, so I need this resolved ASAP, it’s my responsibility towards the legal buyer, you know…

201 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Gigguk says

I don’t understand why audiojungle authors don’t register their tracks as copyrighted. All decent artists nowadays do. I’m thinking of doing the same also. Good Luck dejans :(

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Srengoring says

I don’t understand why audiojungle authors don’t register their tracks as copyrighted. All decent artists nowadays do. I’m thinking of doing the same also. Good Luck dejans :(

Every song you make is automatically copyrighted – there’s no need to register them. And AJ authors definitely don’t want to register their tracks with YouTube as this will cause LOTS of problems for anyone who purchases a license.

by
by
by
by
by
by