18 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Australia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Ironbark_Music says

Hi Guys,

Seems I’m not on the right track as far as AJ is concerned as my latest attempt has been hard rejected.

https://soundcloud.com/ironbark-music/rise-up-final

I have to admit to being a little frustrated as I’m really unsure what the issue is with this track as the form-letter response is at best unhelpful. I have read heaps on the forums about this approach from AJ and understand it, but it doesn’t help me. Is it the composition or the production?

Obviously there’s a major issue with the track that I’m missing?

Anyway, this isn’t a rant by any means, just looking for a little bit of guidance/insight.

Thanks

Tim

114 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
AlexStokke says

Hi, I’m not going to give you a full analysis, but I can give you a few tips. I think the rejection is mostly down to the production. First of all you have an issue with hiss/hi-freq noise (that alone is enough for a rejection). I hear it fading in and out. The frequency balance in total is pretty restricted to the mid-freq spectrum, and that, in combination with many mono sounds panned centrally gives the sense that the music is coming from a radio. The piano sounds lifeless, both given the sound quality, and that it is mono. I think the electric rhythm guitar has an inappropriate sound character for the track – too thrashy and distorted. It as also very strange with a pause in the middle of the song, before introducing a new part, something that will decrease the usability for a potential buyer. Hope you find this useful, and get more tips. Good luck! Perfecting this occupation requires many different types of skills, and long and hard practice.

18 posts
  • Located in Australia
Ironbark_Music says

Thank you for your comments Alex, they are much appreciated, and I appreciate you taking the time. I agree its a long and hard process but worth it in the end I hope.

Cheers,

Tim

187 posts
SoundCity says

hi Tim, completely agree with Alex, says it all! good luck for your next track :)

187 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Auralaxiom says

From a composition standpoint, it is very generic (which I imagine isn’t the reason it got rejected).

From a production standpoint, I’ll be honest: I had to turn the volume almost all the way down because the highs and high-mids were so ear-piercing. The kick sounded more like a snare with the snares removed. It was just painful.

Two questions: are you using a set of real studio monitors or are you trying to mix on a set of consumer speakers/headphones?

Also, what plugin do you use for mastering?

Like I said, it’s not a bad track from a composition standpoint (although there were a few rhythmic inconsistencies here and there), but production wise it’s in need a complete rebuild.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear, but you did ask. Best of luck to you in the Envato community!

26 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Mayerhuber says

Yes, I also think it’s really not a bad track. I think something really went wrong when you mastered it. Maybe it helps listening to other mixes (your favorite pop/rock songs or successfull tracks here on audiojungle) and try to find out how you can get your sound (alomost) that way. Thats what I often do, when I’m not sure about my mix/mastering. Cheers, Mario :)

18 posts
  • Located in Australia
Ironbark_Music says

Many thanks for the feedback guys, don’t worry about hurting my feelings as you say I did ask! :)

Obviously I need to take a good look at my equipment as I’m not hearing the extremes in the mid range that you’re describing.

@Mayerhuber: As a matter of course I listen to my tracks on a variety of gear to highlight any issues but it seems I’m not catching problems.

@Auralaxion: My DAW of choice is reaper and I don’t use a mastering plug-in as such. What’s your go-to mastering plug-in?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,

Tim

187 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
Auralaxiom says

Many thanks for the feedback guys, don’t worry about hurting my feelings as you say I did ask! :)

Obviously I need to take a good look at my equipment as I’m not hearing the extremes in the mid range that you’re describing.

@Mayerhuber: As a matter of course I listen to my tracks on a variety of gear to highlight any issues but it seems I’m not catching problems.

@Auralaxion: My DAW of choice is reaper and I don’t use a mastering plug-in as such. What’s your go-to mastering plug-in?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,

Tim

Ozone is the absolute best bang for your buck.

That said, I now use a combination of mastering EQ’s and compressors from Native Instruments (I would highly recommend just buying Komplete Ultimate 9), but I still use the limiter and multi-band compressor from Ozone. It’s a really solid plugin for not a whole lot of $$

187 posts
SoundCity says

Ozone is very complete, the Brainworks bx_XL is powerfull and easy to use, it’s a kind of multiband limiter for mastering… But I think there first problems in the mix…

my humble advice:
  • check your sound bank, it must be of professional quality (NI Komplete is a good investment for example)
  • first does not add too many effects, or “hard” EQ corrections (don’t think that extra shine always put your track in value)
  • test your track in mono and be careful to phase meters
  • Once your balance is good, gently back reverbs until just audible
  • Then you can add a Comp or a Mastering plug on your mix-bus

hope this helps, trust your ears! ;)

Cheers

kristopherfisheraudio
kristopherfisheraudio Recent Posts Threads Started
506 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
kristopherfisheraudio says

I wouldn’t call OZone a mastering plugin….

Get some corrective and coloured EQs, Compressors etc and practice. You should see/hear some of the crap OZone does to your signal, it is in no means mastering.

by
by
by
by
by
by