26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
neyus says

My first time here also and I’m looking forward to listening and contributing as much as I can within this site : ] Here is a piano track and would love to hear feedback from you guys.

Thanks

http://audiojungle.net/item/a-memory-to-remember/3061292
500 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
JonBuice says

I like the track as a whole! I’ve always been a piano fan (played since forever) so I’m always open to listening. The toughest part of composing with just a single (midi) instrument is keeping the listener entertained/interested. One thing you could do, or undo I should say, is either give up quantization alltogether, or at least back it off some. A track like this makes me imagine a solo pianist, just sitting at a bench playing. So I would expect to hear things like minor timing differences, pedal noise, room ambience, breathing, etc. This is hard to accomplish with midi, and I understand the trouble of finding a grand piano to record. But I would say rehearsing and just play it through would give you a much more natural, lively sound. Fix major error if you must, but leave the little things in there. They’re part of the piece. You could try adding a subtle room tone as well, just to give a sense of presence and location.

I like it though, hopefully one day you’ll have the opportunity to record it in a concert hall :) keep up the piano tunes!

198 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
adammonroe says

I like the track as a whole! I’ve always been a piano fan (played since forever) so I’m always open to listening. The toughest part of composing with just a single (midi) instrument is keeping the listener entertained/interested. One thing you could do, or undo I should say, is either give up quantization alltogether, or at least back it off some. A track like this makes me imagine a solo pianist, just sitting at a bench playing. So I would expect to hear things like minor timing differences, pedal noise, room ambience, breathing, etc. This is hard to accomplish with midi, and I understand the trouble of finding a grand piano to record. But I would say rehearsing and just play it through would give you a much more natural, lively sound. Fix major error if you must, but leave the little things in there. They’re part of the piece. You could try adding a subtle room tone as well, just to give a sense of presence and location. I like it though, hopefully one day you’ll have the opportunity to record it in a concert hall :) keep up the piano tunes!

I don’t think AudioJungle really likes things like pedal and room noise. I’ve actually had to go back and edit things like that out of my piano tracks due to soft-rejections. But, there is a balance to be struck between “natural playing” and “flat” midi that can only really be accomplished by playing a track expressively, and using a piano sample that has a good dynamic range. If someone can’t play that well, they can always go back and individually change all the velocities to sound more natural.

But there is also the balance you have to strike between what usually sounds good on piano recordings and what AudioJungle thinks sounds good on a piano. Most piano recordings I listen to are either too muffled or have too much reverb by AudioJungle standards, but in the larger world it is how these recordings are done…they are very nuanced and dynamic. Solo piano is something that’s pretty difficult to nail, because your sound can’t be too bright and it can’t be too mellow, it has to be just right, IMO . It’s analogous to a guitar players always searching for that “holy grail” tone.

About this particular track. Probably my one criticism would be that there’s just a tad too much bass in terms of eq.especially at 0:21 0:41, ect. Very slight, maybe 1-3 DB…But the overall composition is nice.

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
neyus says

^ Thanks Adam for pointing out the eq issues. I actually spent more time in eqing out the bad frequencies but had a hard time. (Using Kontakt’s piano btw)

@ JonBuice Its funny because originally this song wasnt in sync with the original bpm! In fact it sounded fine even if I didnt quantize it but for some reason I just thought I should fix it up anyway. Thank you for the feedback though.

500 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
JonBuice says

^ Thanks Adam for pointing out the eq issues. I actually spent more time in eqing out the bad frequencies but had a hard time. (Using Kontakt’s piano btw) @ JonBuice Its funny because originally this song wasnt in sync with the original bpm! In fact it sounded fine even if I didnt quantize it but for some reason I just thought I should fix it up anyway. Thank you for the feedback though.

Sure thing! But Adam is definitely right about AJ preference. The sound you’re looking to achieve all depends on where its going and the intention of the track. My suggestions were more…personal I’d say, but Adams suggestions are truthful and fit the AJ music mold for sure.

by
by
by
by
by
by