43 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
sebastian6 says

I saw that some top sellers have music with vocals (full songs) and have just submitted my first song that includes real vocals. Anyone else been doing this?

50 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Kerosene-Music says

I just did a track with yeahs yeahs and woo hoos…and what not …nothing serious yet. Tim McMorris is the man with regard to vocals.

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

The best example of success with music with vocals is Tim McMorris. I have a single song with vocals that has garnered a whopping 2 sales on AJ :). I actually have one more in the works to test the waters some more, we’ll see how that goes. But I don’t see huge sales in the future for my style of vocal music – my best vocal songs (to my ear) are folksy and introspective, talky more than singy, and not entirely marketable.

My opinion is that vocal songs are problematic for most of us:

1. Lyrics are very hard to get right, and even more so because you’re not writing for yourself and your own emotional experiences but for a marketplace. You have to be especially careful to remember who the audience is, and be accessible and memorable without being insipid.

2. I’m sure some authors are amazing singers, but a lot of us composers don’t necessarily have the best kind of voice, or at least not the best kind of voice for a poppy, upbeat song that’s likely to sell.

3. Recording vocals can be tricky, and in my opinion you can tell for vocals more than other instruments whether an unsuitable mic/preamp were used. Even a casual listener may be able to (at least subconsciously) tell the difference between amateur and professional recording on a vocal track because the vocal track is what he or she is listening to the most.

EDIT – I just saw JC’s post, and I guess I should make a distinction between vocals with lyrics and vocal flavor (ooo’s or la la la’s, etc.). I was talking about the former – the latter I think is a cool way to flavor a song and can work very well in a variety of styles.

607 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Germany
Basspartout says

For the moment I keep doing vocals and my AJ activities seperated. Since I do my own stuff in German it’s not for AJ anyway. And my english recent vocal activities are a little more on the melancholic side ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlMbkf4tdGE

Edit: just found this “fun fact”:

by
by
by
by
by
by