597 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
TortoiseTree says

Hey guys, I’m sure quite a few of you write music with video games in mind. Been doing that a bit recently myself. Thing is I always have a hard time with picking which category/genre to put this music in. I recently wrote some happy, electronic music imagining one of those casual iPad games. I’m torn between putting it under children’s or under ambient/electronic or under corporate motivational. Just generally asking where do you guys generally put your video game music and have you seen results by putting it in certain genres where maybe game dev’s look?

75 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
lion-audio says

same here. maybe it is time to have a dedicated category? or even be able to put an item into 2 categories?? I can imagine it would help customers a lot, too.

597 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
TortoiseTree says

same here. maybe it is time to have a dedicated category? or even be able to put an item into 2 categories?? I can imagine it would help customers a lot, too.

+1. Yes! I would love either one of those things to come through. I’m sure if we had a dedicated games category and then sections there for loops, space games, learning games. I mean yeah theoretically game dev’s could look in the same sections but I feel composing for a video game and for a TV show are different games!

I would also love to be able to submit in more than one category but I can understand this would have lots of problems for the site!

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
TrapezeArtiste says

I just uploaded some game music an hour ago! I think I went for Ambient in the end

903 posts
  • Australia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
JBlanks says

A video games category is a great idea – I’d even suggest sub categories within it similar to the Cinematic genres we have available. Action, platformers, RTS etc. I don’t see a downside to this – but I’m not Envato and they may have their reasons. Seems like a good way to go though.

31 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ArtMusic4life says

Just in the description and the tags indicate that music is for video games. I think this will be enough, that the buyer has found what he is looking.

63 posts
  • Europe
dreamsonix says

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a dedicated category for video games music, because this type of music can’t be classified in that way. Is it electronic, ambient, pop, cinematic? But it would indeed be nice to generally have the option to put an uploaded track in up to three categories, like it’s the case with other marketplaces.

533 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Synchrotron says

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a dedicated category for video games music, because this type of music can’t be classified in that way. Is it electronic, ambient, pop, cinematic? But it would indeed be nice to generally have the option to put an uploaded track in up to three categories, like it’s the case with other marketplaces.
I agree with dreamsonix. Game music isn’t necessarily a certain style. Bundling all song together under one category isn’t a good solution in my opinion.

Mostly when I have a hybrid track featuring orchestral elements I put them in the cinematic category. I don’t have much in that department right now. But I do consider music fitting for games are more about moods/setting than a genre.

903 posts
  • Australia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
JBlanks says

I was hired to write music for a game recently – if I had to post that track on AJ I wouldn’t have a clue which category to put it into – electronica would be the closest but that’s not a good fit for this particular track. It’s ridiculously hyperactive with an enormous amount of energy and I certainly can’t imagine it being used in any other context than a high speed video game. It certainly isn’t chill out music…

Also game music is designed to endlessly loop (at least for iPhone, Android games etc) which is a specific requirement for those applications – not really useful to someone intending to use that music for a video etc – it has no end point. (But I guess one could be added as a variation). Taking these factors into account I think a video game category has merit. Sure the client could loop the track themselves, but to have it happen seamlessly it really needs to be designed into the track and created with that purpose in mind.

I guess there’s all kinds of musical styles that could work in games and plenty could easily sit comfortably in cinematic, ambient etc – but not all of them. Guess it all depends on the game and the track. Just my 2 cents. :) JB

214 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
MikeSea says

Big + 1 for a games-category.

by
by