172 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
joelfalconer says

When it comes to optimal waking hours, the idea of chronotypes seems to discredit all the one-way-or-the-other productivity writers.

This doesn’t have much to say about the concept of light stopping the production of melatonin to keep us alert, but it is often said that indoor light is so poor (at least in comparison with the sun, which is the light source these rhythms developed around) that the body doesn’t see a big difference between night and many office setups.

Putting aside practical considerations such as how children affect the work day, it seems like figuring out what your chronotype is, and taking breaks in the sun when you can, is the best way to stay alert and productive.

223 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
adriantry Envato team says

Thanks Joel. Recently I’ve been feeling sleepy during the day. I think having more breaks in the sun might help with that. I’ll give it a go. :)

137 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

When it comes to optimal waking hours, the idea of chronotypes seems to discredit all the one-way-or-the-other productivity writers.

Great article there :)

592 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
flashato says
||”Morning people are always happier and more productive.” True?

It’s depends at what time they go to sleep.

6085 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

||”Morning people are always happier and more productive.” True?
It’s depends at what time they go to sleep.

hahaha! That’s the point. We can’t steal the time; only possibility is arranging in such a way to pull maximum gain. Obviously this can’t be done without considering external circumstances.

1560 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
SoundFix says

I was reading a blog this morning called How to Become a Morning Person. As motivation, they list some “pretty compelling” reasons to become one:
“Morning people” tend to: Make more money. Be more productive. Be healthier and live longer. Be more happy and satisfied in their lives.

Is this always true? They do link to some studies that have been done.

I imagine it might be true in the business world, and with my house renovations most tradesmen like to start work by 7am. But what about for us? Are creatives and web workers necessarily more happy and productive (and rich!) if they are morning people?

At the moment I am a morning person, but I haven’t always been. It’s working for me pretty well, though I’m almost totally useless after 8pm.

What do you think? Are you a morning person or a night owl? Can night owls be productive?

Very interesting question, hmmm. I have found sometimes I can literally get out of bed, sit at my desk without even having breakfast, get a spark of inspiration and work pretty fast to create what I have in mind, I can then have some breakfast and build on my great new draft track.

I often work in the evening on music but I definitely think starting a few hours before lunch is a great thing to do because of the way it can break up your day, whereas if you start late afternoon or early evening, you just end up working through dinner until you’re really tired which I think can be a pretty unproductive time.

Over the last year I’ve definitely become a bit more of a morning person and I think it’s a good thing :)

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Romania
mitzij says

I think is totally true. I hate waking up early but when I do, my day is completely different. The things are going as they should do and I am in a better mood. TRUE!

223 posts
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
adriantry Envato team says

Over Christmas and New Year I became a night owl again. Things were crazy, and many days I had to stay up late to get work done. After winding down, some nights I didn’t get to bed till 2 or 3 am. That’s probably normal for some of you!

But I prefer to get more work done earlier in the day. I love it when I get a large percentage of my work done before lunch. And that means getting up earlier. So I’ve started to go to bed earlier, and I’m slowly starting to wake up earlier again.

Since starting this thread I’ve seen a heap of blog posts around the Net about the benefits of early rising. Just recently I came across one defending the opposite position – 13 Benefits of Being a Night Owl. I think he makes some great points!

6085 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

But I prefer to get more work done earlier in the day. I love it when I get a large percentage of my work done before lunch. And that means getting up earlier. So I’ve started to go to bed earlier, and I’m slowly starting to wake up earlier again.

Completing all the works before lunch – will give some pleasure initially (few days) but there is a side effect with this approach. If we come across a delay or dragging problems and couldn’t complete something within after noon, the same old stress of in-completion will continue throughout the evening.

However completing the works earlier for other practical reasons are fine but doing the same for our psychological benefits will not sustain after some period! (atleast for me its a fail ;) ) May be this will work for those who do physical works in factories but if the work is related to problem solving, responsibilities and such, there is no fixed regular time that gives the feel of completion.

by
by
by
by
by
by