• Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
adriantry Staff says

I was reading a blog this morning called How to Become a Morning Person. As motivation, they list some “pretty compelling” reasons to become one:

“Morning people” tend to: Make more money. Be more productive. Be healthier and live longer. Be more happy and satisfied in their lives.

Is this always true? They do link to some studies that have been done.

I imagine it might be true in the business world, and with my house renovations most tradesmen like to start work by 7am. But what about for us? Are creatives and web workers necessarily more happy and productive (and rich!) if they are morning people?

At the moment I am a morning person, but I haven’t always been. It’s working for me pretty well, though I’m almost totally useless after 8pm.

What do you think? Are you a morning person or a night owl? Can night owls be productive?

36 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Jaegers says

Several times I have tried to become a morning person, but then realized, that first 4-8 hours are most productive, no matter when I wake up =)

5070 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Oh now you got my attention.

I start around 4.30 am

If you want me to expand on it i will :)

218 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
adriantry Staff says

SportTipsWorld – we sound similar! We’re sort of neighbours. I’m building a shed like yours. And now we get up at similar times. I often get up at 5 am or earlier without an alarm.

If you’d like to expand on it, I’d love to listen. :)

Christopher_Boswell
Christopher_Boswell Recent Posts
Threads Started
65 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
Christopher_Boswell says

adriantry, thanks for the post!

You know, I believe this is true, and for one main reason.

Light!

Right now, I am on a late cycle, and guess what? I have lights burning in every room!

What makes up the interesting reasons to look at your creations, that’s right, Light, or contrast.

We need the energy of light, and it only takes a matter of time for an imitation to grow boring compared to the original.

The Sun!

I will return to a morning cycle because it does call me on some level. Maybe it’s just the knowing that I can walk outside and possibly find something interesting to look at. It gives me another place to exist nearly effortlessly.

Keep shining your light!

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
gbs says

If anyone have a daily local 9-to-5 job then it has been a routine, people would work at best when they just leave home and get to the office. But with freelancer, especially when working with clients over the time zones then there is no fixed frame of working time, so there’s just no fixed routine. Moreover, in creative field, inspiration is some of the most important factor. I can work continuously 14 hours or more if I’m really inspired by something. But there are many days of doing nothing because I need to go out and get inspirations to feed my mind. Inspirations may come at anytime, so from day to day I can be a night owl or a morning person, that varies :D

5070 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

Hi guys,

In response to this thread, I thought I would share my daily routine lol.

Many of my mates, colleagues even family think I am an idiot, for getting up and starting work so early. In fact I guess those of you who also are early risers may fall foul as I do to cynicism and disdain :)

Ok, well for me a day starts at around 4 – 4:30am ( never used a alarm clock in my life ) I fire up the coffee machine ( good old Aldi ) whack in a number 8, which makes red bull whince !

After a stern cup of char, and having fired up my iMac, I nip outside for a smoko or two. With my ipad and check emails, and log in to a couple of my fave sites.

About 10-20 mins later, I get down to the office, and begin work. Now there may be no good reason for me doing this regime, but it is one I have done for nigh on 20 years.

So here are my thoughts, all positive :)

Being an Aussie, and living in Brisbane, where daily temps ( summer ) can and do hit 40 degrees celcius, coupled with the high humidity. It just makes sense to work with the climate.

Albeit that isnt the solitary reason, it is also a huge factor. There is nothing worse than working thru the day feeling sweaty and clammy, and generally uncomfortable.

Plus ( and this will throw you ) I am also a refrigeration mechanic, running a small company alongside our dev work – it is my bread and butter work, as you may say. Strangely, I hate aircon, and do not have any fitted in the office, I prefer fresh air, no matter how warm it is.

So back on track, :-

I get up around 4am sometimes earlier, depending on my diet the previous day ;) !!!

Start work around 4-30am to 5.00am and work right thru until around 3pm. Then that is me for the day, I basically split my day like so:

4 hours of solid coding. 3 hours of titivating and starting next days project, sketches, scribbles and design concepts. The remaining time, I spend fixing page related issues, and validation coupled with doing my emails.

Because my target clientelle are Australia based, then these days I can work using the above ethic, and handle emails pretty much live as we get them, rather than my client base being in USA and me living here, my day would be protracted and all out of shape.

Throughout the day, I pop onto the following sites.

Facebook Codecanyon / Themeforest Webresourcesdepot GitHub VanillaForums StackOverflow.

My guys ( who work with and some for me , in our small dev team ) generally arrive about 7-8am depending on traffic.

Because I have done what I had planned the day before by 10-11am, we can then collaborate around smiley time ( lunch break ) discuss shizznit, and hence my day is split the way it is.

Later in the day, I do come back on the computer, but not generally doing any hard coding, however at times I will.

I work 7 days a week, same regime. Keeps me happy, plus because I dont do brainwork at night, I have a great sleep and feel fresh the next day..

I know a lot of people, who are night coders ( we call them ghosters ) but they always look like shit, because their brain is on overflow to the small hours, they sleep badly and tend to wake up late, this then means their day starts slowly and they need a huge push to get them back into gear.

I think Seb Coe ( the runner ) once said, after he had won a race, he always loved doing his runs in the morning. Quieter Cooler, and you feel at your peak.

I guess I am a dawdler, not a runner .. but my system works for me.

Hope this helps someone somewhere in some obscure way ;)

280 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
johnnybd says

“Morning people are always happier and more productive.”

They’re also:

• Less Likely to see falling stars.
  • Miss the best raves, parties, bars and discotheques
  • Find it harder to get a one night stand
  • Are more prone to skin cancer, sunstrokes and other sun-exposure related diseases
  • and Most important:
  • The ones who came up with this quote / blog / study.
  • Believe it if it makes you feel better about yourself, doubt it if it makes you feel you’re better than others.

5542 posts
    • Exclusive Author
    • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
    • Elite Author
    • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
    • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
    • India
    +3 more
    VF says

Moderately early work hours like 7-8 am works for me (have to wake up 30-45 minutes prior). If I set anywhere between 4 to 6 as work start, I have to start sleep from 8 or 9 pm which is impossible due to environment. So even if I try to hack the benefits of 4-5 am, it wont be consistent after 2-3 weeks.

And if you listen singing birds daily (happens here by 4-6 am), it wont be interesting and will become a normal thing. But if you do the same very occasionally it would be sweet! ;)

737 posts
    • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
    • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
    • Exclusive Author
    • Has been a member for 1-2 years
    • Referred between 10 and 49 users
    • Russian Federation
    JohnMcNeill says

true. that’s it ;)

by
    by