2014 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Hey Juma Studios
Be careful: On a cheap mixer there’s usually no way to turn the speakers down but still have sound on the headphone, especially not on €100 Behringer mixers!! So the same problem remains!!
You rather buy this: http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/de/products/monitor-controllers/m-patch-2
There you can control two pairs of Monitor speakers PLUS a headphone. When you record, you just switch off the speakers with one button and the headphone is still on. This does basically the same as the Mackie Bog Knob, but is much cheaper!!! As use that one too and it’s great!

276 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
JumaStudios says

Cheers Mat! Helpful as always…The old thing again…buy stuff specifically for their purpose. And at this stage actually I don’t need the functions of a mixer. But now that we came to…how do you feel about all those Behringer cheap mixers? Those xenyx I believe. Of either 4,8,12 channels. As I said before,divided opinions…I actually met some real fans of them. And by the way, we’ve been having plenty exchanges of opinions so its about time, my name is Justin :D

1029 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
simaudio says

You can buy any cheap mixer for monitoring!

1. If you take the outputs of your Edirol interface and connect them to your mixer.

2. Take the main outs from your mixer and connect them to your active monitors.

3. Set the output level on your interface to a volume that you are happy with, set the mixer master fader to work with this without distortion (probably 0 db) you might have to tinker with this.

4. Plug your headphones into the headphone jack on your Edirol interface and use this as your headphone amp, turn down the master fader on your mixer (silence) use the direct monitoring knob on your interface to adjust your playback level.

5. When you want to use the monitors again, simply turn up the master fader on the output buss of your mixer, remember to turn your mic or instrument volume down as this could feedback.

Basically all you are doing is using it as a way of fading or muting the signal before it reaches the monitors, if you spend a lot of money on it you might as well buy another interface.

Hope this helps :)

2014 posts
+8 more

Hey Justin! Sorry, simaudio is completely right, like this it works of course, that’s true!
But consider, it’s not very comfortable. Always when you adjust the “headphone volume”, the level that goes to the mixer varies too, which results in a level change on the speakers too.
So why not buy a monitor controller (once in life…), especially when it’s not expensive. Another benefit: You can connect a second pair f speakers, e.g. a very cheap trashy PC-Speaker. Then you can even switch between your reference and the cheap speakers, to listen your mix in different monitoring situations.
But of course it’s up to you where to spend the money…. ;)

2014 posts
+8 more

....But now that we came to…how do you feel about all those Behringer cheap mixers? Those xenyx I believe…..
Well, what shall i say. They sound not bad, they are often better then their reputation… i sold many Behringer mixers in my life because (different than most other pro’s) I never generally declined them and had very different experiences… some series were great, on other series 9 of 10 had a problem. But most of them were hidden for most of the users…like one AUX send of only one channel not working etc…
But to make this clear: Don’t expect to have a better quality when you spend the same amount (or even up to 100% more) for another brand!! Most of this stuff is made in China and the cheap things from “good” and “famous” companies aren’t that good either…
For me another argument counts to use a monitor controller instead of a mixer, as i described above in the last thread. One more is: The M-Patch is passive. It will change the sound less than any mixer, which is a positive point for this purpose.
I hope that helps too.
276 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+4 more
JumaStudios says

Yup Mat, as I said before…its always good to buy one thing that fits exactly to your purpose. I was kind of trying to combine things somehow because anyways I need to buy some mixer of around 2-300 euros. But the purpose of it will be for live performances. And while home, why not put it to use in the little studio. That was kind of my battle plan :) But that would mean cables connected and disconnected and connected again everytime I have to take it out. So…monitor controller it is :)

Although SimAudio, thanks a lot for your info…it will definitely help!!

294 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Thanks for your answer! For some reason it says page not found on the mackie site you sent me the link from :(

For whatever reason, the post included the ”.” in the link URL, which is giving the error. Here’s a link that should work for those who didn’t just Google it anyway:

http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob/

Looks like the Big Knob costs about twice the M-Patch 2 (cool gadget Matt!), but might still be worth the extra features, in terms of number of inputs/outputs, dual headphone control, led meter, etc., assuming it fits your budget. Funnily you can get Mackie’s 12-channel mixer for even less than the Big Knob… doesn’t fit as nicely on your desk, but would get your job done and pull double duty if you need something for gigs. Still might be worth it to have a dedicated studio control device for convenience which was your initial purpose. Especially if you ever plan to get a second pair of monitors in the future.

Fernandestelecaster
Fernandestelecaster Recent Posts Threads Started
117 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
Fernandestelecaster says

I use M-Audio 1616m sound card. Take a look

http://www.thomann.de/gb/emu_1616m_pci_express.htm
235 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
backgroundmusic says

Hi there,

All of the above suggestions will serve you well, so when you save some money, you can always upgrade your setup.

It seems to me that for your needs, some Presonus studio live mixer, would be a good fit for your future workflow.

It`s very utilizing for both applications, studio and live performances.

by
by
by
by
by
by