273 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Hey guys, quick question here. How could I switch from monitors to headphones without having to put the monitor volumes on 0 every time so I can only hear sound on my headphones? I hope I am explaining it right. But to be more precise I will give you an example.

Lets say I worked on a track using my vst instruments and the sound came from the monitors. Now I want to record a live instrument on it so I have to raise from the desk, turn the monitor volume down so I can have sound only on the headphones and this way the microphone can capture only the live instrument. Isn’t there some kind of a switch that can be bought? Its so annoying to always use the monitors volume knobs…specially that for my Yamaha HS80 I have the knobs in the rear side. My soundcard doesn’t have anything useful regarding this. Thanks a lot!

291 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

This is the nice pro way to do it – http://www.mackie.com/products/bigknob. More bells and whistles than perhaps you were looking for, but a nice tool for any studio setup.

Or you could always get a simple switchable powerstrip and simply turn off/on the monitors. As long as you’re not switching them off/on every few seconds it shouldn’t harm them. If you also adjust your workflow and simply do most of your “tracking” and composition on headphones, then switch to monitors for mixing, that will also reduce your back and forth.

273 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Thanks for your answer! For some reason it says page not found on the mackie site you sent me the link from :( Regarding the on/off switching…Im kind of afraid of it :)) Rather stick with the volumes :) Working with the headphones more on the composition stage, well…I am so used with the monitors…hard for me to get back to the headphones. Although I have pretty good headphones, I still use them for only when I record a live instrument or voice. Or wife gets waaay to tired about all the sounds :)

1000 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
simaudio says

Hi Jumastudios, can you give us a brief description of your set up, what sound card, os and daw you use etc?

273 posts
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Hey there, So right now I have an Edirol UA-25EX soundcard, the monitors are Yamaha HS80. I`m running a Cubase 5 on Windows 7. Pioneer Headphones HDJ1000. I guess you dont need info about the PC and microphones,preamps,etc. Thanks for the help!

Oooh and the keyboard is a Novation Impulse 61

131 posts
    Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Taiwan Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

In addition to what has been said, search for “monitor controller” in Google – Mackie bigknob is this. SPL comes up a lot in this area, but the prices might be overkill for you. If you want to do this on a budget, a simple mixer will work.

1000 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
simaudio says

Hey there, So right now I have an Edirol UA-25EX soundcard, the monitors are Yamaha HS80. I`m running a Cubase 5 on Windows 7. Pioneer Headphones HDJ1000. I guess you dont need info about the PC and microphones,preamps,etc. Thanks for the help! Oooh and the keyboard is a Novation Impulse 61

It looks like there is no independent headphone volume control on the Edirol…is that right? If that is what your problem is…ie; when you turn down the main output level(monitors) the headhone level also gets reduced, can the level be increased by using the direct monitoring level to the headphones? Also did the Edirol come with any mixing software? not the free daws.

1000 posts
+2 more
simaudio says

Hey there, So right now I have an Edirol UA-25EX soundcard, the monitors are Yamaha HS80. I`m running a Cubase 5 on Windows 7. Pioneer Headphones HDJ1000. I guess you dont need info about the PC and microphones,preamps,etc. Thanks for the help! Oooh and the keyboard is a Novation Impulse 61
It looks like there is no independent headphone volume control on the Edirol…is that right? If that is what your problem is…ie; when you turn down the main output level(monitors) the headhone level also gets reduced, can the level be increased by using the direct monitoring level to the headphones? Also did the Edirol come with any mixing software? not the free daws.
I looked at the manual and it looks like there is no way to seperate the output volume and the headphone volume which i find a bit strange, interfaces i’ve used in the past usually come with some sort of mixing software which enables you to do this. I think the easiest way to probably do this is; as suggested by buddhabeats… is to buy a small mixer, you don’t need anything expensive.
273 posts
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Wow… thanks for your precious time friend! Yes I tried to see if its doable with the soundcard. Its quite an old one and I dont have the software for it anymore. Yes BuddhaBeats came up with a good solution. Was comparing a little bit on some sites prices and products. There is a small monitor control unit for about 40 Euros and that is kind of the only thing it does. So I guess better to put another 40 and buy a 4 channel mixer. Behringer has some stuff at that price range and size but I heard really divided opinions about this brand. Once again, thanks a lot for the great info and Simaudio…special thanks for the research!

1000 posts
+2 more
simaudio says

Wow… thanks for your precious time friend! Yes I tried to see if its doable with the soundcard. Its quite an old one and I dont have the software for it anymore. Yes BuddhaBeats came up with a good solution. Was comparing a little bit on some sites prices and products. There is a small monitor control unit for about 40 Euros and that is kind of the only thing it does. So I guess better to put another 40 and buy a 4 channel mixer. Behringer has some stuff at that price range and size but I heard really divided opinions about this brand. Once again, thanks a lot for the great info and Simaudio…special thanks for the research!

No worries it’s a pleasure :) I did wonder if there was some way you could do it using the control room in cubase but i don’t think that would work due to the restrictions in the Edirol interface. If you have another built in soundcard on your pc you could probaly connect the headphones to this and set your outputs in cubase to that soundcard while still using the inputs from the Edirol… but that could cause all kinds of problems (latency etc) Maybe have a look to see what you can find on Ebay? You might get something decent for what you want to pay. You don’t have to use it for recording, just monitoring.

Glad to help :)

by
by
by
by
by
by