82 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
houseofsounds says

Hi guys, I’m noticing while my items nearly always get approved my mixes don’t sound as full as lot of the similar items on AJ. Can you guys listen to a work in progress and recommend any techniques or ideas that might help make it thicker and less tinny sounding, should I just increase the bass and drum level? I removed a few high pass filters and that seemed to warm it up a bit, but it’s not quite there when I compare it to others. I’ve been a musician for several years, but relatively new to mixing. Thanks guys! A link to a work in progress – http://soundcloud.com/houseofsounds/mainmix

839 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I have a feeling that you’re over compressing the tracks, which is sucking the dynamics out of the song. If you look at the waveform on soundcloud, it’s pretty much constant. So, when the guitar chords blocks are strummed, there’s no headroom to give it oomph as it’s at the same dynamic level as the track. Back off the compression on all your tracks, and let the track breath some more, and I think you’ll be a step closer to the sound you’re looking for.

82 posts
+1 more
houseofsounds says

Thanks gbiasillo, I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback, I’m going to try rolling back some of the compression and see how that feels, I think right now as a new mixer I have a tendency to overdue EQ and compression, thanks again!

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
Boyaninho says

yes, it seems that u should worm up the drums, at the background… after working on compression, i recommend u to try with psp vintage warmer2, great plug-in which can help u in mastering of ur songs.

82 posts
+1 more
houseofsounds says

Thanks, Boyaninho, do you put that plug in on the drums or on the master fader? Both your stuff and gbiasillo have that warmer feeling im looking for where mine tend to sound a little more like tin and high on the treble. Thanks for taking the time!

839 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Yes PSPs VintageWarmer2 is great. If you can’t afford that there’s OldTimer which is also a great compressor that adds warmth.

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
Boyaninho says

The best way is to put psp on drums chanel, and maybe u can put a bit more of reverb. Later on, in mastering chanel i used to use izotop5 which is not so cheap but very powerful plug in for the mastering, sooooo amazing and powerful plugin, worth every single cent. cheers houseofsounds :D!!!

82 posts
+1 more
houseofsounds says

I just checked out the izotop demo and it really does sound amazing. good call!

by
by
by
by
by
by