548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

I don’t get the trend. Other than a quick loading website what are the benefits of it and why are “Minimalistic” themes so popular? Just wondering :)

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

I don’t get the trend. Other than a quick loading website what are the benefits of it and why are “Minimalistic” themes so popular? Just wondering :)

Well, the word minimal is constantly abused. If the minimal style is wrongly developed, then I agree about the blank sheet of paper. If well executed minimal is a very complex style with a total attention to details and user interaction.

3454 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Well, the word minimal is constantly abused. If the minimal style is wrongly developed, then I agree about the blank sheet of paper. If well executed minimal is a very complex style with a total attention to details and user interaction.

Very well said.

In fact, quality minimalist themes have to have nearly perfect design (we’re talking typography, visual hierarchy, proper use of negative space, and the like here), because there’s no extra “bling” to mask any design inadequacies.

I agree it’s a bit of a trend right now, but what’s really in demand (I believe) is that perfect execution of design principles that make a site look great and give it a timeless look. So in that sense, it’s the opposite of a trend as well. :)

I also think as themes get more and more complicated, there’s a certain amount of pushback resulting in demand for simpler (style-wise, not design-wise) themes.

1050 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

It’s true minimal design is VERY difficult. I occasionally meet a young designer who will mock what they call “simple” designs (like what Apple typically does) and reminded them, it is a lot harder to make something look great when you do as few things as possible to it.

It’s difficult because if everything doesn’t look exactly right you’ll know. Dealing with proper use of space in a minimal design can be a hair pulling experience.

I agree with sevenspark, I think it’s a trend right now and don’t know how long it will last but you’re sure to see more of them soon. What is happening is people see a design on the site that has sold 500+ copies in a couple weeks and they think “that’s so simple, I can do that”.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
edtv82 says

i personally enjoy texture… I have a hard time looking at white, something about spots.

350 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Very very hard to create a good minimalist design that’ll stand out in the crowd IMO .

The back side of the iPad = pure minimalist beauty :)

381 posts
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
+6 more
GoodLayers says

It’s true minimal design is VERY difficult. I occasionally meet a young designer who will mock what they call “simple” designs (like what Apple typically does) and reminded them, it is a lot harder to make something look great when you do as few things as possible to it.

It’s difficult because if everything doesn’t look exactly right you’ll know. Dealing with proper use of space in a minimal design can be a hair pulling experience.

I agree with sevenspark, I think it’s a trend right now and don’t know how long it will last but you’re sure to see more of them soon. What is happening is people see a design on the site that has sold 500+ copies in a couple weeks and they think “that’s so simple, I can do that”.

Agree!
Minimal design is VERY VERY difficult. Most people think it’s too simple and very easy.
That’s not true!

1734 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
286 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
AkinGn says

Although I want to make a minimal theme too later, I too want to say the term “minimal” and “simple” is over used around here. Like you guys said, minimality is the talent of supplying more with less and it’s a very hard task to achieve. And for simplicity, I remember there was a good article for it on web design tuts +. And the main idea was “creating a simple looking yet working and appealing web design is not simple.” something like that. I found the link : http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/design-theory/errors-bad-decisions-or-bad-design/

563 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Minimal designs are the acoustic guitars of web design. If you make a mistake, everyone will hear it.

by
by
by
by
by
by