548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

I don’t get the trend. Other than a quick loading website what are the benefits of it and why are “Minimalistic” themes so popular? Just wondering :)

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

I don’t get the trend. Other than a quick loading website what are the benefits of it and why are “Minimalistic” themes so popular? Just wondering :)

Well, the word minimal is constantly abused. If the minimal style is wrongly developed, then I agree about the blank sheet of paper. If well executed minimal is a very complex style with a total attention to details and user interaction.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Well, the word minimal is constantly abused. If the minimal style is wrongly developed, then I agree about the blank sheet of paper. If well executed minimal is a very complex style with a total attention to details and user interaction.

Very well said.

In fact, quality minimalist themes have to have nearly perfect design (we’re talking typography, visual hierarchy, proper use of negative space, and the like here), because there’s no extra “bling” to mask any design inadequacies.

I agree it’s a bit of a trend right now, but what’s really in demand (I believe) is that perfect execution of design principles that make a site look great and give it a timeless look. So in that sense, it’s the opposite of a trend as well. :)

I also think as themes get more and more complicated, there’s a certain amount of pushback resulting in demand for simpler (style-wise, not design-wise) themes.

1024 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

It’s true minimal design is VERY difficult. I occasionally meet a young designer who will mock what they call “simple” designs (like what Apple typically does) and reminded them, it is a lot harder to make something look great when you do as few things as possible to it.

It’s difficult because if everything doesn’t look exactly right you’ll know. Dealing with proper use of space in a minimal design can be a hair pulling experience.

I agree with sevenspark, I think it’s a trend right now and don’t know how long it will last but you’re sure to see more of them soon. What is happening is people see a design on the site that has sold 500+ copies in a couple weeks and they think “that’s so simple, I can do that”.

6 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
edtv82 says

i personally enjoy texture… I have a hard time looking at white, something about spots.

346 posts Gambit
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

Very very hard to create a good minimalist design that’ll stand out in the crowd IMO .

The back side of the iPad = pure minimalist beauty :)

377 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
GoodLayers says

It’s true minimal design is VERY difficult. I occasionally meet a young designer who will mock what they call “simple” designs (like what Apple typically does) and reminded them, it is a lot harder to make something look great when you do as few things as possible to it.

It’s difficult because if everything doesn’t look exactly right you’ll know. Dealing with proper use of space in a minimal design can be a hair pulling experience.

I agree with sevenspark, I think it’s a trend right now and don’t know how long it will last but you’re sure to see more of them soon. What is happening is people see a design on the site that has sold 500+ copies in a couple weeks and they think “that’s so simple, I can do that”.

Agree!
Minimal design is VERY VERY difficult. Most people think it’s too simple and very easy.
That’s not true!

1734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
VisualSharing says
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
286 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Turkey
AkinGn says

Although I want to make a minimal theme too later, I too want to say the term “minimal” and “simple” is over used around here. Like you guys said, minimality is the talent of supplying more with less and it’s a very hard task to achieve. And for simplicity, I remember there was a good article for it on web design tuts +. And the main idea was “creating a simple looking yet working and appealing web design is not simple.” something like that. I found the link : http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/design-theory/errors-bad-decisions-or-bad-design/

555 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+12 more
theMOLITOR says

Minimal designs are the acoustic guitars of web design. If you make a mistake, everyone will hear it.

by
by
by
by
by
by