• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
backgroundmusic says

Hi there, I have some dilemma. I worked with MIDI in Cubase/Nuendo for 10 years, and in the last year I work in Logic, but mix with audio tracks I mainly do in Pro tools or Logic. I`d like to try to work with MIDI in Pro tools 9, do not ask me why I want to do that, even I do not know the answer to that question. :-) I tried to play a little bit with MIDI in Pro tools 9, and it`s pretty seems to me like Cubase or I`m wrong? What interests me… is there anyone here who does MIDI programming in Pro tools 9 but also have experience with MIDI in Logic or Cubase/Nuendo? I`d like to hear some comparisons.

Thanks

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
backgroundmusic says

Anyone…just say something. :D

354 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
brandonamatias says

I have experience w MIDI programming PT, but not Cubase

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
backgroundmusic says

I have experience w MIDI programming PT, but not Cubase

Hi brandonamatias, Some experience with MIDI in Logic?

354 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
brandonamatias says

Ummm…a little, not much. Just trying to compare?

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
backgroundmusic says

Ummm…a little, not much. Just trying to compare?

Well…you know, every DAW has its advantages, I was wondering if PT has some advantages in MIDI wich are worthy of attention. I know that very few people work with MIDI in PT, and I always wondered why. As I noted, I try a little bit of MIDI in PT9 and it`s pretty act like DAW with decent MIDI functions. But I would love to hear someone who has more experience with MIDI in PT9.

354 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
brandonamatias says

Well…Pro Tools probably isn’t the BEST to use MIDI, since PT only started integrating MIDI since PT 8! But to me, it’s got everything I need to get the job done. I’ve grown up with Pro Tools, so it was a pretty easy transition for me.

I just finished doing a “Dramedy” piece (Drama + Comedy, very “Desperate Housewives”) which included all MIDI. I flew through it, but it’s probably because I’ve used it time and time again.

As far as advantages go, I’d say it’s just about the same. It doesn’t have the best “humanizing” options, but that’s my opinion.

I would advise to do your research, learn about it, and give it a go for a couple of weeks. If it isn’t flowing like you want it to, then switch back. But IMO, it works great!

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
backgroundmusic says

Well…Pro Tools probably isn’t the BEST to use MIDI, since PT only started integrating MIDI since PT 8! But to me, it’s got everything I need to get the job done. I’ve grown up with Pro Tools, so it was a pretty easy transition for me.

I just finished doing a “Dramedy” piece (Drama + Comedy, very “Desperate Housewives”) which included all MIDI. I flew through it, but it’s probably because I’ve used it time and time again.

As far as advantages go, I’d say it’s just about the same. It doesn’t have the best “humanizing” options, but that’s my opinion.

I would advise to do your research, learn about it, and give it a go for a couple of weeks. If it isn’t flowing like you want it to, then switch back. But IMO, it works great!

When I mix, it happens often that I have to add something in the arrangement. So when I mix in Logic it`s not a problem, but when I mix in PT it`s so annoying to constantly switching from one DAW to another. :-)

But like you said, until I try it at least for 10 days I will not know. Thanks for your time brandonamatias :-)

47 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
ClassicBeauty says

Well…Pro Tools probably isn’t the BEST to use MIDI, since PT only started integrating MIDI since PT 8!

Just out of curiosity… PT has featured MIDI since well before PT8… perhaps you mean something different by “integrating?”

354 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
brandonamatias says

Well to my knowledge, they didn’t house their own VI’s until 8. So I assumed that there wasn’t MIDI capability before. I could be wrong though :)

by
by
by
by
by
by