• Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
DarkSunz says

I must admit this was a very impressive release by msft. I mean it looks promising, and as others have noted the lack of apps, if theres anyone who can play catchup properly, I think its Msft. They’ve been doing some crazy innovations over the past few months and thats really drawing in devs. With products like this that can cater to EVERYONE , the student/designer/commoner/businessman, its a win.

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I’m confused by the name “Surface”. Isn’t that what they called their coffee table line?

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

973 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

I’m confused by the name “Surface”. Isn’t that what they called their coffee table line? This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

Thats what I thought too

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-original-microsoft-surface-table-is-now-called-pixelsense-2012-6
328 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
CRSDesign says

I’m actually really impressed. It doesn’t look like an exact iPad replica (although there’s only so much you can do with a tablet at the end of the day).

I’m still not sold on W8 for desktop pcs though. Maybe tablets with w8 will make customers feel more at home with it on a pc.

Really want to see how the intel chips stack up against the ARM offerings in like to like situations. Secretly hoping ARM underdog kicks the Intel monopolies ass though :)

3673 posts Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Personally, I don’t see the upside to running such a full-fletched Windows OS on a tablet. It makes the usability line between laptops and tablets ever more shady, and frankly I’m not that much of a fan of Windows 8 to begin with. Sure, the idea of an OS for both the tablet and the desktop machines can be considered nice and fulfilling, but I find it hard to imagine what controlling the interface will be like without a mouse. Then again, the screen is sufficiently big to get a good grip on things – 10.6”, that’s nearly the size of the Macbook Air. They reallly went all-out on the specs as well, which makes it quite the powerhouse when it comes to tablets. Perhaps a bit of a niche, but there’s gotta be a market for that sort of thing. Plus I’m curious if they finally nailed it with regards to the stylus. So far, nobody has.

All with all, I guess the machine is really nice hardware-wise, but I’m reluctant to think W8 is doing it any good. Neither the tablet nor the desktop is going to profit from this half-baked cross-over OS, in my ever so humble opinion.

I’m confused by the name “Surface”. Isn’t that what they called their coffee table line? This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

Thats what I thought too

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-original-microsoft-surface-table-is-now-called-pixelsense-2012-6

My sentiments exactly! I had to google to find that Surface is also the new tablet line they’ve come up with. ;)

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+1 more
LucidStudios says

Surface looks a very impressive product and I hope it will add to the competition and eventually benefit the consumers as the products will get better and prices will come down etc. Definitely will buy a Surface with Windows 8 Pro version as I have already the New iPad :)

169 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
mikedidthis says

Personally I love the concept. Built in keyboard & stand, graphics pen support, and runs the same software as my desktop. Great for play, and great for work.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

Mixed thoughts. The keyboard is terrific as people are starting to work on tablets now (saw someone on a plane recently using iPad + keyboard plus iWork). And IE10 on my laptop running Windows 8 speed is incredible so I’m sure it’s probably pretty good on a tablet as well. But Joost makes some good points. I’ve been playing around with Windows 8 for a few months, and whenever I use it I just can’t get over not having a start button (I’m always going for it only to remember it doesn’t exist). And on mobile, I’m not sure there’s really a need for the full Windows. But consumers will be the jury on these things.

My question, what’s the price! They’re fooling themselves if they think they can compete with Apple at the same price. Spend some of that money you’ve got in the bank, release it at $300 and get people using it!

133 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
sekler says

It’s nice, but if I had to buy a tablet right now, I’d buy Asus Transformer Prime.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

It’s nice, but if I had to buy a tablet right now, I’d buy Asus Transformer Prime.

When I bought a Motorola Zoom, I loved how “unlocked” it was. And I spent a good deal of time on it because I wanted to be an Android user. But I’ve since gone back to my iPad for everyday use. It just wins in the usability department.

by
by
by
by
by
by