89 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
LaMusique says

I wanted to ask Audiojungle authors . Is there a place for a catchy melody in a your background music? Or does the term “background” excludes the melody for you in the first place? By melodies I mean not some humble motif, counterpoint, but a good, catchy melody played by the leading instrument. Composers always had their own, special attitude towards the melody and melody had a diverse place in global music depending on era, traditions, current tastes, big composers influence, fashion, goals and many other things. Whats your attitude ? Do u care about melodies at all in a background music? And what sells better here on Audiojungle?

936 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I hadn’t really thought about it, but the royalty free loops I’ve done have mainly been very light on melodies and have stayed mostly chord driven. So apparently I either consciously or unconsciously exclude strong melodies.

I guess that makes a little bit of sense, as you don’t necessarily want to overshadow what’s happening in the foreground, but it might just be my personal style as well. And I suppose it depends on the application – if it’s a voiceover maybe you want to lay back, but if it’s, say, a video game maybe it makes sense. I haven’t played Katamari Damacy for a couple of years but I still get the melodies from the background music stuck in my head :).

89 posts
LaMusique says

Hey Joel :)

Yeah I’ve been thinking about “background music” term a lot and I still don’t know if there is a place for a melody. One of my favorite film composers (medium which needs background music and not foreground one) is Enio Morricone – I can whistle almost every melody he has done :) Thats why he is so great, as Tchaikovsky is – melodies, mostly. Of course they are great orchestrators and all, but melodies is what made Enio’s background music so famous. I guess he would have a great deal of sales here on Envato :)))) Maybe times are changing.. Enio lived in a different era where there were “slow pace”, unhurried movies and now you have to surprise the audience in every frame…

I’ve done a few melodic pieces as an experiment, want to see how it will sell.

7 posts
  • Located in Costa Rica
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Veridian says

I think that whether a song doesn’t have a very audible or strong melody… the melody is still there.. you just have to imagine ;) !

By background music do you refer to film scores? Or just ambient/background for menus or stuff like that?

I think that everything has a melody probably because I think that all that I can hear is melodic simply because it’s sound. I like to find harmony in everything :) I’m not saying that I compose because I like what I hear when I pour water in a pot or a pan (which I have done anyways, haha) But, what I mean is that a background song can have a chord progression with no main ‘melody’ but, there are still notes being played which establish a sense of movement or a series of pitches which are pleasant to the ear.

89 posts
LaMusique says

Veridian

Agreed – even the wind and rain has a melody. The questions is, how we define the term “melody’. I mean, romantic melody of the 19’th century – this is the style of music we hear on MTV today :) We’re still in the 19’th century in a certain way, only the instruments changed. And I see that melodic stuff has a demand.. That is excellent for me, cause I’m good at melodies :)

217 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

I think a lot of it has to do with the mix, background tracks often have great melodies but they are usually mixed as part of the track and not as loud as you would a soloist or solo instrument.

89 posts
LaMusique says

As I see in “AudioJungle”, people love melodies. What I decided to do is create music with melodies and then give the buyers a “non-melody” version also.

by
by
by
by
by
by