1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Hello all,

I’m about to have an album of material professionally mastered (this is from a soundtrack for a game, 50 minutes of material). However, I am yet to decide on an engineer. I have narrowed it down to 3 that fit within my budget.

Could you take a listen to these tracks and tell me which you think sounds the best (and which sounds the worst).

Remember, we’re not commenting on the mix here or whether you like the track or not, we’re just commenting on the overall final sound. The mix will not be perfect until I record live strings on it, so…. that will just have to wait for now!

Download the files from here:

https://gareth-coker.box.net/shared/gljtvggjczs84fjeb19o

I’ve had fascinating results so far, which I will post later on once I’ve gotten more votes.

Also, if you think they all suck ,then please say so!

I’m not wanting a superloud squashed / compressed sound. The genre is basically ‘cinelectronica’ (cinematic / electronica) – so it needs to have elements of both genres in there. Not too far to a wide panoramic/cinematic sound, and not too much like…Skrillex either!

Your feedback and time is greatly appreciated.

335 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+3 more
tiam says

Hi! First of all I must say great production, really!

The first master has a nice warm sound to it and a really nicely balanced brightness. What I think it lacks a bit is the upper bass punch. To get the steady feeling of the song it needs to be more attack to the sound.

The second master doesn’t have the same amount of nice round sub bass to it but it does have just a little bit more punch. But here I am missing the body the first master had.

Least but not last third master its really hard to tell the different I think from the second except some more sub bass.

Overall I think all of them has potential. If would choose it would be the first master. It has a nice crisp sound and a round bottom. However if possible I would strive to get some more punch to it without compassing to hard. Just try to get just a little more punch to it. But thats just my point of it :)

Again great production!

212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

Can you upload the unmastered version as well? It is hard to comment without hearing the before and after.

• Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+8 more
212 posts Live Creative!
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
BrownHouseMedia says

Gareth,

I thought version 3 was the best for what you are looking for. It retained the dynamic range, felt more open and had more air while also raising the overall dynamic level. Just for fun I messed with mastering the original – see what you think:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M0Rvek9wTlEzS3BFQlE9PQ

Tim

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
joesacco says

@garethcoker

Of the three I would say Version 2. The track sounds great. I think live strings would definitely do the trick! I took an attempt at the original myself. Have a listen…

http://fs05n1.sendspace.com/dl/f2b08be7f5a53bc39280a07690f6f730/4e5ef0fb280bc7b5/6ti9kb/Output%201-2.4.wav

Let me know what you’re opinions are on my mastering skills, or lack thereof. :grin:

730 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

Gareth you may be a genius. Even I am tempted to also post a master haha. Save some money and wait a couple day and everyone will post their own spin on your track and you can choose from the whole lot :D

I haven’t read the other posts yet as I didn’t want them to influence what I said, so here is my take:

Out of the three, the master that holds the most elements of what I like is the first one, though there may be a few things I would change if it were me. For what your going for based on your post, it seemed pushed just a tiny bit too hard on loudness maximization…. I know, laugh, this is coming from me, mr. crunch it :)

Also the track itself seems to hit all the right spots in the ear candy frequencies….in other words the mid – highs are great to me. The second track I believe lacks clarity because the lower frequencies were pushed harder…which muddied the track.

The third track seemed to lose a little of the shine the first one had, but this may be because it simply wasn’t pushed as hard? Not sure there, but looking at the totality of the piece, I prefer the first one.

Good stuff though man :)

• Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
+8 more

I will post the final results of this tomorrow. Though, according to Box.net, 13 people downloaded from Audiojungle, and far fewer commented :D – oh well. Thanks to those who did.

When I tell you the cost of each engineer for their version of the track and then the number of votes that engineer received, some of you may (or may not) be quite surprised…..

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
joesacco says
timmcmorris said
Gareth you may be a genius. Even I am tempted to also post a master haha. Save some money and wait a couple day and everyone will post their own spin on your track and you can choose from the whole lot :D

Go ahead Tim give it a go, let’s see what you’re made of!! :bigsmile:

273 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
soundroll says

I like the second version most, but the 3 is good too. I would not choose the first because it is over limited for my taste.

by
by
by
by
by
by