44 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MaxRazumov says

What do you think – better sell tracks without mastering or mastering? Can I lay here on the track 2 options – simple data track and the same track with the mastering? After all, the buyer need not always track mastering, having RMS -10 dB. But on the other hand – if the exhibit is not mastered tracks – they will sound more quiet compared to the other tracks. How should I proceed?

77 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
AdamAldo says

I’m new here, so my word probably won’t go very far. But I think it’s wise to master your tracks, just enough to add some polish and loudness, but not “brick-walled”. Ozone 5 has a great mid-side EQ function, and a reasonably decent maximizer. I’m sure you’ll get more feedback soon :sunglasses:

distillerystudio
distillerystudio Recent Posts
Threads Started
104 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
distillerystudio says

I lightly master all tracks for loudness and to ensure enough top end brightness, and no floppy bass. I use the term lightly as I don’t like slamming tracks SUPERLOUD as it can be like a bad action movie, e.g. all red lights and BOOM CRASH from start to finish.

Of course, different tracks, different measures, so whatever floats your boat really.

685 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
delgibbons says

I tend to stick with ozone or waves L3, master it lightly adjusting the threshold and a light eq modification on the multimaximizer. Not too far pushed..normally about -0.5dB max. Mastering for mp3 does some weird stuff too which needs to be watched as it alters the levels. Thats why the sonnox mp3 mastering software is good; it shows you what lossy compression actually does to your sound…

738 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Russian Federation
JohnMcNeill says

Mastered. But I start using Grammy award records for the reference. Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical – there’s is a lot of non-smashing records. So I start use LUFS meter, so it seems to be better

131 posts
  • Taiwan
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

Technically “Mastered” doesn’t mean “Loud”. Maybe in today’s context it kind of does, but don’t make the mistake in thinking making it loud is the main purpose of mastering. Anyone can learn how to use a limiter…albeit maybe not correctly. You can tell a mastering engineer not to make your track too loud, among other things.

Head over to a mastering engineer’s website and you’ll typically find a list of what things a mastering engineer does. I would highly recommend going to an actual engineer that masters over doing it yourself. In makes perfect sense IMO.

I’ve seen some “heated” discussions on whether or not a person can “master” their own tracks. By definition, their thinking is, mastering a track involves a fresh set of ears not connected to the project. If you “master” it yourself, you’re doing no more than “further mixing” the track, so to speak. So in essence, you MUST have someone else do the mastering in order for it to be considered mastering.

Anyhow, not the point of discussion here. But something to think about…

54 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
istarink says

Ok … i don´t like 0db waveformsausages !So my way is at first to make a nice eq with monosignal below 200hz.. usung Brainworx hybrid 2.0 in a second way i add a soft compression with Waves L3.

It´s not the loudest signal on this platform but you can keep a very good dynamic. I am very interessted by other ways ! ..

Greets Ingo

468 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
NoizMan says

mastering a track involves a fresh set of ears not connected to the project.

+1

184 posts
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Sonic_System says

I’d go with mastered versions. Don’t underestimate the influence of “louder is better” fashion on music business…you could have a perfect mix, but if it is quieter and darker than commercial releases, than you are in problem, IMO.

171 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
MikeSea says

I used to master my stuff with Ozone but nowadays I think: less is more. IMO A limiter + light EQ on the masterbus are enough. I don’t even use compression anymore. This way I can concentrate myself on the mix, because that’s where you can solve the most problems.

by
by
by
by
by
by