14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
phonographic says

Hi fellow Junglers.

I has to write a track this week for a commercial and it needed to be strings rich. I am using Native Instruments Kontact for my strings on Protools 10. I struggled to get a good sound from them, they ended up sounding thin and un-inspiring. I tried pretty hard.

What are your suggestions to making good sounding strings? Any tips out there?

76 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
Fegender says

Hi Phonographic,

You maybe can find some information in one of Daniel James videos (he’s a brilliant composer and doing great videos on YouTube to present different sample libraires). He did one with a trailer music only made with Komplete instruments (including strings part from the Kontakt library).

You can find the video here: http://youtu.be/bU7dSORnKcw

he starts talking about how he used Kontakt strings at 8:32 (the video is very long).

Hope you will find valuable information there.

263 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
PremiumTunes says

A big part of making strings sound good is dynamics, so don’t forget to draw some volume curves so they don’t sound static. And good reverb is crucial. Notice I said “good”, because not all reverb is created equal.

14 posts
+1 more
phonographic says

A big part of making strings sound good is dynamics, so don’t forget to draw some volume curves so they don’t sound static. And good reverb is crucial. Notice I said “good”, because not all reverb is created equal.

I hear you on the dynamics there. thats a great tip. I find though its easy to overdo the reverb… (perhaps my reverb sucks…) it can easy sound too washed out instead of giving it room.

843 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Yes, dynamics is major component. You should also look into positioning the string sections in realistic positions on the stage. This is more than just panning, and should include the distance from the listener to give more 3D imaging of the instruments.

14 posts
+1 more
phonographic says

Hi Phonographic,

You maybe can find some information in one of Daniel James videos (he’s a brilliant composer and doing great videos on YouTube to present different sample libraires). He did one with a trailer music only made with Komplete instruments (including strings part from the Kontakt library).

Thanks so much Fegender Thank is really helpful..

Looks like a great resource too.

You can find the video here: http://youtu.be/bU7dSORnKcw

he starts talking about how he used Kontakt strings at 8:32 (the video is very long).

Hope you will find valuable information there.
ArnoldsFilmMusic
ArnoldsFilmMusic Recent Posts Threads Started
27 posts
ArnoldsFilmMusic says

Yeah, I think definitely dynamics. Sometimes even exaggerated ones (bigger expression waves). Blending various libraries together and mixing in strong vibrato solo or chamber strings (so they don’t sound flat) can help…

42 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
SweedSounds says

As most already said, dynamics is the key. A good room to place all string and related sounds in as well (reverb). Although, a bad string sample can be hard to rescue. The Kontakt library comes with a small selection VSL-strings. Wich sounds ok, but that’s just about it. You also need to consider different playing techniques, switch between samples for different sections of the melody.

Layering is important. Using different instrumentation. Cellos, violas, violins and so forth.

Then again, it all depends on what you’re trying to achieve. How complex the string parts are.

342 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
soundtrove says

good reverb is crucial.

+1 and typically a concert hall. I am not a classical composer by any stretch but have had decent results by using the kontakt strings plus some free Structure libraries in PT.

by
by
by
by
by
by