• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

Hello Skanoir!

Don’t want to be offending anyone at all. Gareth and jhunger does have a point. I use windows 7 i think it’s really nice too. Just adding some thoughts =)

I use two operating systems in my studio, mac and windows. But i’m literally hooked to my mac all the time. I normally make my music with logic studio on a 21” iMac but i do also have a white 13” macbook 2009 (2.0ghz) running logic studio. The macbook does work, but sometimes it overloads.

I love logic. That’s why I’m on a mac. Logic makes things simple, you don’t go into too much technical and hard to see interfaces. Just get down right on the music aye?

And hey! Logic + Macbook is by Apple right? They should work together seamlessly, no? No more downtime hassle! =D

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

No offense taken! I think my previous post was a bit too down on Macs. Full disclosure – I completely glossed over all the times I’ve cursed out Windows 7 for something or other (probably 10-20 times daily) or our current Dell laptop’s fussiness. And I’m not looking forward to Metro and Windows 8. Also Cubase likes to crash every now and then, and there are certain workflows that are just wonky…

But the main thing is that I’m used to Windows 7 and Cubase, know how to fix issues when they arise and have long ago figured out what random dialogs I need to get to to set up my I/O, for instance. Moving to an unfamiliar arena you have to start all over again just for basic stuff, so that can be frustrating and it can take undue amounts of time to be productive.

688 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
robGD Volunteer moderator says

I held my tongue on this one. I’m not a Mac fanboy by any stretch, but I can say for sure that if you’re used to a platform and you have the quirks laid out before hand you should stick with it. That comes with a big BUT …

If you want to make the switch and your friend is willing to let you take it for a test drive and you’re not depending on this for your main income…. Give it a shot. A 2006 MacBook is fairly old, and if you get the newest version of Cubase it might not run so well. The hardware is not comprable. It’s just plain complicated. You’re not comparing new to new here, as is the case in many situations where PC is compared to Mac. A 400 dollar Dell is not going to touch a $999 MacBook(not pro), let alone a MacBook pro.

As far as starting over again… Well, maybe it’s more like exchanging a command key for a CTRL key… Closing a window doesn’t close the app on Mac like it does windows. Once you’re in an app it’s pretty much the same. If you have the luxury of trying it out you owe it to yourself to see if you like it better. If it’s free. Do it. You will love Mac OS X (pronounced Oh Ess-ten). I have no agenda except to see that you try everything out and see what’s best for you.

Happy Producing. ;)

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Rob makes valid points, but I’m not sure we should even be comparing Dell laptops with MacBooks…...

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

Goodness, no. The Dell I was referring to is our home computer for browsing the internet and reading emails, a task that it is up to about 70-80% of the time. No way I’d use that for music production :) I use a handbuilt 16 gb quadcore desktop to crash Cubase with.

by
by
by
by
by
by