168 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Skanoir says

Hi guys, i’m thinking about taking a laptop that i would mainly use for music creation. A friend of mine has this 2006 MacBook and i’ve always heard that they are great for music. Any advice? This is the configuration of this MacBook:

1.83GHz MacBook (MA699LL/A)

Processor 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

L2 cache 2MB shared

System bus 667MHz

Memory 2GB

Hard drive (1) 60GB Serial ATA ; 5400-rpm

Graphics Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory3

Video Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI , VGA, S-video, and composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)

Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolution

FireWire One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)

USB Two USB 2 .0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out

Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)

Wireless(4) Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11g standard; 802.11n capable with optional802.11n enabler)

688 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
robGD says

That will work. One thing to do when it starts to bog down: freeze your tracks. ;) Also if you’re recording instruments you’ll need an interface.

168 posts
+2 more
Skanoir says

Thanks for the reply! I use a lot of freezing now on my desktop pc! :D I think i’ll go for it!

702 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OhmLab says

Once you go Mac, you’ll never go back. 8-)

* Of course there is the whole starving artist thing to keep in mind, but all things being equal, you’ll want the Mac.

168 posts
+2 more
Skanoir says

ahhh now i’m having problems with cubase! i’m not able to open a project i was working on :/ will this happen on a Mac too? ahah :D

168 posts
+2 more
Skanoir says

Ok, i’m getting confused and i need your help. What would you choose between this 2006 MacBook and a new low-mid priced windows laptop? What do you think will work better using Cubase, Reason etc ?

1184 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Once you go Mac, you’ll never go back. 8-)

I went to Mac, and I left them so I could never go back to them :p – (not really, I use both, but PC is my home). It’s a total myth now that Macs are better for music creation. It certainly used to be the case, but not anymore. And – based on my experiences in studios – Macs have just as many problems with music creation as PCs do, especially in Logic.

For music creation, right now, they are as good as each other.

@Skanoir – My advice would be to use/buy what you are used to. If you are currently using a Mac, then get a Mac laptop. If you are using a PC, then get a Windows laptop. Windows 7 is a really excellent OS (just as good as Mac’s OSX ).

The MacBook will be fine. The Windows Laptop will be fine. The difference you’re paying for with a Mac is the operating system and consistent hardware, and that’s about it. Cubase will not work better on a Mac versus a PC that is the same spec.

2nd, check the system requirements of your software (Cubase is quite demanding) and make sure that it matches the computer that you are thinking of buying. Most people’s computer problems are because they didn’t do the research before buying.

In an ideal world of course, one would have both a PC / Mac and be able to navigate both of them. But that’s not the case for everyone.

Hope that helped a little.

168 posts
+2 more
Skanoir says

Thanks! Very clear! I’ve never used a Mac… i think i’m one of the many victim of the “Mac Myth” but if the reality is, like you said, that there’s no real advantage in a Mac i think i’ll go for a classic Windows laptop ‘cause with the same money i can get a better hardware.

959 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

It sounds like you’ve already decided, and Gareth has already laid it out there clearly, but I’ll throw in my two cents anyway. I bought a MacBook Pro a little under 2 years ago for the purposes of making a portable studio. I really really tried to make it work, but just could never be as productive on the Mac OS as on Windows, not because of anything major, but 1000 little nits, for example only being able to size a window from the bottom right or no ability to cut and paste in Finder. To be fair, I think the windowing thing is fixed in Lion but I haven’t tried that out, and these are just two of many things I could list as frustrating to a Windows user.

So I, at least, tried Mac and came running right back, and I’d +1 Gareth’s comment that if you’re used to Windows, go with Windows – otherwise you may be setting yourself up for frustration just doing day to day business on the computer.

On the plus side, a Mac will have consistent hardware like Gareth pointed out, and also it’s pretty much UNIX running on an Intel chip so it’s going to be as solid as you can get. It also feels like a good, cohesive, solid piece of equipment whereas Windows laptops often have a hacked together feel. Also (if you care about this sort of thing) the resale value of a Mac will still be good even after 5 years, while a used windows laptop won’t get you much on the market.

168 posts
+2 more
Skanoir says

Thank you Jhunger! I read your answer only now :) I didn’t take any decision yet, but i guess i’ll go for a Windows Laptop. I had the chance to try the Mac for a while and i just got the feeling i was a newbie, so i get your point completely. Thanks again for your advices guys :)

by
by
by
by
by
by