• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

Hello guys,

Guess what, I just bought Cubase 7! I’m a full time Logic user but I decided to try something new while I also think using a software that runs on both the PC & Mac platform would be great for collaborations/work these days.

So while waiting for the box to arrive, I was just wondering if anybody have Cubase tips for me. Especially for me, I’m so used to the Logic workflow. I’ll appreciate any comments and tips given! :)

248 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

Keyboard shortcuts that I find useful:

F3 – Mixer
F4 – inputs/Outputs
F11 – VST Panel
F22 – Performance panel
“G” & “H” – Zoom In, Zoom Out
CTRL + Left Mouse Click – sets the Left Loop Marker
ALT + Left Mouse Click – sets the Right Loop Marker

You now have in Cubase a Logic alike feature, instrument track. Before, you had to create a new MIDI track, then to assign a VST instrument. Simplified by the “instrument” feature

If you want a new Buss Channel, create a new “Group Channel”

1933 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
matsteiner says

bodorobodo gave you the right tips! Congrats, maybe that was the perfect step…i did that a few years ago and would NEVER go back anymore!!! Just in the beginning i was unhappy, but once you’re familar, you’ll love it!
I add some more commands: q = quantize (after a recording to quantize the entire recording or in the editor just selected notes)
0=stop
2×0=stop & return to last stop position
*=record (nothing new for you)
(num) . = return to zero
(num) +/- = fast forward / fast backward
ctrl + (num) 1-9 = set locators
(num) 1-9 = recall locators
F2 = Transport Window

Important:
Change under preferences / VST the monitor behavior to “Tape Maschine Style”, or you turn crazy…

1326 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+5 more
lucafrancini Reviewer says

Mat, what’s the last thing you wrote? :P

P = when you select a region, hitting P key will put L and R locators from the start and the end of that region :)

819 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
gbiasillo says

G and H to zoom in and out

201 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

Would it be advisable if I change the key shortcuts to the keyshceme I use in Logic?

For instance;

< : rewind a bar
> : forward a bar
R : record
Enter : Return to start of arrangement
x : Mixer
p : Piano Roll
etc….

OR maybe I should just suck it up and learn new keyboard shorcuts like bodorobodo and mat explained.

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

There will be so much to learn and plenty of frustrations as you progress along the learning curve (I can do this in one keystroke in logic, why is it so difficult here!). But plenty of things will equally be much easier.

My only real advice would be to become friends with customized key commands and macros. Learn to implement these early on. They are HUGE time savers. Macros alone have streamlined my workload immensely. Don’t like using the “P” key to highlight regions (like I do)? Change it to the “Q” key. (makes more sense in my workflow where I often need to export a lot of individual files.) Then “w” can be file export.

Learn how to use these and save time. :)

1933 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
matsteiner says

Would it be advisable if I change the key shortcuts to the keyshceme I use in Logic?

For instance;

< : rewind a bar
> : forward a bar
R : record
Enter : Return to start of arrangement
x : Mixer
p : Piano Roll
etc….

OR maybe I should just suck it up and learn new keyboard shorcuts like bodorobodo and mat explained.
You can even set the Cubase Key comand set to Logic key set, but i think it makes sense, to learn the new ones from cubase, because they match better for Cubase functions. But most of all i encourage you to set your own commands you use often (for example i use the / in the NumPad as Undo. If a e.g. recording is nor good, just beside the * (record) is the undo function…

Another nice thing: Under Preferences / Editing / Tools uncheck “Pop-up Toolbox on Right Click” and you get a nice context menu for almost all functions PLUS Toolbox (but the tools are easier to choose with number 1-9)
131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

Just remembered that someone makes a keyboard with all the Cubase/Nuendo hotkeys on it. Or you can purchase the hotkey stickers and put them wherever in the event you like a different layout.

580 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Basspartout says

Hello guys,

Guess what, I just bought Cubase 7! I’m a full time Logic user but I decided to try something new while I also think using a software that runs on both the PC & Mac platform would be great for collaborations/work these days.

So while waiting for the box to arrive, I was just wondering if anybody have Cubase tips for me. Especially for me, I’m so used to the Logic workflow. I’ll appreciate any comments and tips given! :)

My tip would be, dont open the box yet and give Presonus Studio One 2.5 a try first, but I guess it’s already too late for that ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by