Hardly! Looking out my window right now:

387 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

Holland is quite small which is quite beneficial at some times!

I live in Utrecht and I can get to the train station on my bike 5 minutes and get the train to Amsterdam which takes about 25 minutes. If you don’t mind travelling even more time you can basically live any where in the ‘randstad’ area which covers about 1/3 of the country.

Living in Amsterdam is about €900-€1200 a month, when you live in the suburbs it becomes €700-€900 a month.

Living in Utrecht is €700-€900, and when you live in the suburbs like me it is around €500-700 a month. I’m actually quite lucky with my housing costs being so low.

Included are all monthly costs you will have here.

Utrecht is quite a small town but, it is the town where the women/man ratio is about 70%/30% :) So for a single male it is heaven here.

Finding a home for yourself in either Utrecht or Amsterdam can be a pain in the ass though. If your job offers you a place to stay, you should really take it.

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
themeenergy says

Thank you very much, guys.

@Joost: you have better weather than I have here, on Madeira island. I have actually got used to constant clouds and rain, I assume I would survive up there. :)

As for the housing, they have offered me relocation assistance, whatever this means, but an offer to live/work in Amsterdam doesn’t come every day and the salary they offered is not bad (btw is 50k/y considered a decent salary?)

My only issue is traveling to work. I have been flying solo and working from my home office for several years now and I am accustomed to the “luxury” that I can almost work in my PJs, so I don’t really want to lose much time with driving to work. But apartments in the city center cost a hell of a lot. I will have to figure this out when/if I get there, I don’t know the city and/or country, so I cannot really make any assumptions.

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it.

90 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
+1 more
Companjo says

Ohh. and prepare for the bad weather :D
+1 :D

Hardly! Looking out my window right now:

It’s good weather today, but prepare for next week haha. 3/4 days rain :shocked:

As for the housing, they have offered me relocation assistance, whatever this means, but an offer to live/work in Amsterdam doesn’t come every day and the salary they offered is not bad (btw is 50k/y considered a decent salary?)

They will help you finding a place to live.

25 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
themedutch says

Hallo (hi) kajag,

We life in Roermond the South of the Netherlands and this array is much cheaper as Amsterdam, I know I grew up there but moved to the South. But if your presents are requested at the Amsterdam office, the South is maybe not your best thing; it’s a 1,5 /2 hour drive by car and train.

But if you like the PJs Luxury life and you don’t have to show up every day at the office, go to the south. Life is peaceful over here and much cheaper.

50k looks not bad, depend of what kind of job. After taxes etc it will be around +/- 3100,—a month, I assume they pay you in Euro….

Prices - small room +/- € 350,—a month - family home, ¾ bethrooms € 750,—a month - Tv + internet connection (download 80 Mbit/s) € 59,—a month - Bic mac € 3,—

Below the link of a mayor website in the Netherlands for rental and buying homes.

http://www.funda.nl/

If you need more details information or some assistance, don’t hesitate and give us a buzz or a skype call.

Mike

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

But if you like the PJs Luxury life and you don’t have to show up every day at the office, go to the south. Life is peaceful over here and much cheaper.

Sounds like those ‘Zuid-Limburg’ ads they aired a while ago to attract people to live there ;)

50k looks not bad, depend of what kind of job. After taxes etc it will be around +/- 3100,—a month, I assume they pay you in Euro….

Roughly €30k (€2500 a month) after taxes, I think. 37% over the first ~20k and then 42% over the rest (as it’s just below the 52% scale) adds up to about 20k in income tax.

387 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

My only issue is traveling to work. I have been flying solo and working from my home office for several years now and I am accustomed to the “luxury” that I can almost work in my PJs, so I don’t really want to lose much time with driving to work. But apartments in the city center cost a hell of a lot. I will have to figure this out when/if I get there, I don’t know the city and/or country, so I cannot really make any assumptions.

Public transport can take you anywhere in the country, almost every little inch is covered by the train/tram/metro/bus. It’s fast and efficient, but can get very expensive if you have to travel 5 days a week.

Getting to the city centers by car is almost impossible at rush hour.

So maybe you can go by bike? If you can’t ride a bike yet, I really advice you to learn and ride the bike quickly. All the cities infrastructures are so bicycle friendly, short distances are made much mure quickly by bike then by car or any form of public transport! And it is a great way to stay in shape. ;) Riding your bike to work every morning for 30 to 60 minutes is very common here.

We have about 17 million people living here and 19 million used bicycles. That is more then 1,1 bicycles per person. So yeah, cycling is a great way to get around.

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
themeenergy says

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your help, information and advice given. I think I got a pretty good general impression.

themedutch & Joost: what about 30% tax ruling? I think it would be awesome if I manage to qualify for it. Do you think I can qualify without a masters degree? All I have is a really good CV. :)

@motionvids: I haven’t rode a bike for more than a decade. But I suppose you never forget how to ride one. :) And it would be a shame if I wouldn’t integrate in this cycling culture you have.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

themedutch & Joost: what about 30% tax ruling? I think it would be awesome if I manage to qualify for it. Do you think I can qualify without a masters degree? All I have is a really good CV. :)

I was completely unaware of the entire thing :o Reading into it a bit, it seems like quite a nice way to attract foreign talent, I guess. I’m not sure what the qualification requirements are, and I can’t seem to find any specific guidelines, but I do know that practically anything IT-related is quite strongly in demand around here. :P

by
by
by
by
by
by