5 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
thingamagic says

Good Day to all,

I have a question, for which I was unable to find the answer on the forums, and I’m hoping I can get some clarification on the same.

We are going to use a music pack on about 10 short videos that are a part of a singular project for our client that they are going to show on TV. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to purchase an extended license for the music pack we choose?

Also, our client would like to have some proof of purchase for the music, and i’m unsure what sort of paperwork I should give to them. The license comes in our name when we purchase anything on the envato network as it is our account. I’m not sure what to give to the client as proof that we have bought the music pack specifically for their project.

I do hope I can get some clarity on this.

I thank you all for taking the time to read this.

606 posts Keeping the Groove Alive
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+8 more
guitarsstate says

About the licensing I think extended license should do the job, but I’m not sure about the paperwork. Maybe somebody from the staff should clarify this…

2014 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says
Hi
I’m not sure what license you need for this either, but to be sure you could open a ticket here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Live/Tickets/Submit and choose “Copyright” but no sub-category. Too bad it usually takes some days until they answer. Maybe that helps a Little bit?
5 posts
thingamagic says

Thank you guitarsstate and matsteiner for your replies. I have opened a ticket and i hope to get a reply soon. But if any more info does filter through do let me know here.

Thanks again.

79 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
NenadSimic says

=) Well you should also ask the client to be specific about the form of the proof. But I’m guessing they just simply told it like that …. “we need proof” .

5 posts
thingamagic says

NenadSimic, you are right, :) that is exactly what they said! We have sent them an email, inquiring if we can just add a line in the contract that states that we’ll be sourcing music for them and how they can use it. That would be the easiest form of proof i think. I’m also waiting for a reply from the envato staff. May be they can shed some light into this matter.

5 posts
thingamagic says

Hello again,

Sorry to bump this topic, but we’re still waiting for a reply from the envato staff. I had opened a ticket 7 days ago, but no luck there either. I have even flagged this thread for a staff reply. I do hope we can get some clarity on the matter as we are still waiting to give the client an answer.

Thank you.

632 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Hi,

My understanding is that you’ll need an extended licence as it’s for broadcast on TV. The proof of purchase will be the receipt you are sent by Envato and it would be nice to credit the authour of the songs if you’re client (and yourself) are happy to do so. If you need more than that, ask the authour to draft something together for you confirming purchase.

I wouldn’t wait on a staff response, they can take a while, especially around Christmas when things are busy.

Hope that helps,

Taco

297 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Located in Italy
+1 more
Cinquequarti says

Hope this helps.

In legal “terms”, buying an extended licence, you have bought the right to use the item you’ve purchased in a work you’re doing for reselling to a client. When you download the extended licence certificate (maybe in .txt) you can add a marginal note attesting you have the proper right to sell, in the work you’ve done, the musical item we are discussing about. Your client, in this way, will have the proof that you have used “legal” material for the work you are selling to him. In other words, let’s say a client want to buy form you a commercial spot, including music: well, he must have only YOUR certificate that music is for legal use, not the licence that Envato provides to you. Otherwise, he can buy the music by himself. Dunno if i was clear, couse of my english. Anyways, good luck for your future works!

5 posts
thingamagic says

Thank you for the replies tacoMusic and Cinquequarti. They were helpful. We will be making a separate sheet for our clients that will include the legalities of the music pack purchased and the intent of use. This can also double up as the proof of purchase.

by
by
by
by
by
by