666 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Allegro120 says

Hi guys,

A client asks me which type of license must be purchased for a webseries. 8 episodes in total, non-profit as it just goes out online and is free to view.

I do not know if he should buy 8 Regular license or a Extended license or only 1 Regular license.

Thank you very much in advance.

606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Hola Carlos, I think it would be 8 regular licenses. I think that’s the fairest option. Legally I’m not sure… But in my opinion there are 8 episodes and each license you sell is single use. Extended licenses are for when you make a new product for sale, which he really hasn’t so I don’t think it’s that.

I think 8 is the best option as it is affordable, and it helps your item as it shows 8 additional sales on it. Let’s hear what the others think as I’m sure they will chime in!

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

Series is defined as a sequence of related items in succession that share a common topic. If this is the case then according to AudioJungle licensing 1 regular license should do it.

+5 more
Allegro120 says

Thanks mates, now I’m a little more confused :) Someone who has had the same experience or someone technical staff?

I also wanted to ask if you also upload to Youtube change the license type?

Thank you 1000!!!

293 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

Hey Allegro,

This is all very clear from the recent Licensing FAQ:

Q: Which license do I need for an end product that is freely accessible or freely distributed to users?

A: As long as the end users can freely access the end product, the regular license is fine. There can be more than one end-user (the person who uses the end product, such as the end consumer) as long as there is only one, unique end product.

Example: A flyer that you freely give out or a YouTube video

Q: Do I need a separate license each time I use an item in a series?

No. You only need to purchase the item once per series.

Q: What constitutes a series (eg TV series, webisodes, or a magazine with monthly editions)?

A: To be considered a series, all things in the series (eg episode, edition) must be connected, and be released within 1 year of the first installment. There is also a maximum of 52 episodes or editions within the series.

Example: A 12 episode TV series that starts in December and ends in July would only require a single extended license. A YouTube series that releases an episode every week (52 total) would only need to purchase a regular license once every year. A free magazine that releases an edition every other month would need to purchase a regular license once every year. A paid magazine would need to buy an extended license every year.

Thus, a single regular license is all that is needed for your client’s application.

+5 more
Allegro120 says

SchwartzSound, thank you very much for your reply, you have been very kind.

It seems that with a regular license is sufficient. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by