2010 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Thank you very much Sophonic for your toughts and your advice! If they give me a credit that really would be great! What you say is really true on one hand, on the other hand: First we have to sell something like a expensive license. And most of all: When we sell everyday a few peanuts, it’s maybe a higher amount at the end of the year instead of waiting for THE big one, which may not be that big a the end or never come… but you have more experience than me in this. I’m still atthe beginning with not even 100 sales. So,congrats for your portfolio and your success!

591 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Yes, the business model of music is that a bazillion people like to make it, so you virtually have to give it away for free, even if you do make it at a high level.

No no no no no and no. That is such the wrong attitude to take and exactly why we sit here complaining about the pathetic rates we get paid by companies that should be paying 4,5 and occasionally 6-figure sums for high-profile ad campaigns. This is a marketplace, not a begging jar.

You know, apart from the ridiculous licensing terms here, I’ve decided to negotiate my own Extended Licences as this should really be done on a case-by-case basis and drafted up based on usage, term, territory etc just like the company was asking Mat. As we’re all aware, licensing needs to be sorted big time here, and until that happens, yes, websites, YouTube vids, students and home video makers etc can benefit from the $14 low price-point. I have no issue with that and think its a good thing, but Mat, out of principle, I think you should negotiate on this one.

I’ve worked in advertising for a while and know the type of money that gets bandied around, don’t think your creations are worth $14 across the board, otherwise they WILL be valued at that. I’d be surprised if they would be happy knowing that anyone else could use that some music for the cost of a few beers, branding is important, especially for big companies.

1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Strongly agree with everything tacomusic wrote. If you’re just giving your music away to big companies for nothing, then you’re devaluing 1) yourself, 2) the industry you work in, 3) not researching advertising rates / what people pay for music.

As has been mentioned on other posts, the licensing needs to be updated. People probably are tired of hearing me and others talk about it, but I’m going to keep talking about it until it gets visibly dealt with.

844 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I don’t have anything to add to TacoMusic’s and Gareth’s post but what totally agree with what they are saying. I really hope well get a BIG shakeup on the licensing front very soon.

2010 posts
+8 more

Hi my friends!
Thanks very much for particpating at this discussion!
Generally i agree with tacoMusic, garethcoker and gbiasillo: It’s crazy if a Company pays for a million $ campaign 14$ for a track.
But: Like tacoMusic sayd, it’s a market place: That means, i sell THE SAME tracks for the same price for everybody. Only two different license models are available and of course they don’t cover a lot of cases. But i would not know how to make it better at the moment, it’s not that easy. But i hope, envato can make that better somehow one day…

But every company that buys tracks on such a marketplace has to deal with the fact, that “their” track is played for any other company or application too. I think that’s really not so cool for them. They buy something with a potential handicap…but they don’t pay a lot. A individual but exclusive license (direct from a musicican) would make much more sense in this case, even when it’s much more expensive.
And don’t forget: It’s great when i can sell a 10’000 $ Dollar license, but not when i sell it every five years only. Then i rather sell three “begging car licenses” a day. What i want to say with that is: AJ helps me to promote a lot, which i probably couldn’t do myself that easy.

So except of a wish for more license models i can arrange myself very good with those issues and i am happy here.
And because i can sell THE SAME license 1000 times, i don’t see the problem of devaluing my work. That’s wat i understand with “Marketplace”. For me a lot of benefits. But it’s the questin what somebody expects…

2010 posts
+8 more
Thank you guys again for all your help! Here is the secrets solution:
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/sony-mobile-bought-one-of-my-tracks/82223
611 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
Basspartout says

I totally agree with Taco, Gareth and Gari!
And here’s the news: The ‘Big Shakeup’ is up to us! I dont think Envato/AJ will change anything here unless we AUTHORS make them.
So that’s it for me, folks!! I am gonna STOP uploading my best music to AUDIOJUNGLE until this ridiculous licensing changes and I am gonna support other sites who offer a licensing model that doesnt devalue music like this.
Don’t get me wrong – I am thankful for AJ being a platform where I could start my adventure into the RFM world, but now after one year and the recent experience of making MUCH more money on other non ‘discount’ sites, I need to take a step here.
AJ simply should be treated by us authors like it treats us – and so in the future they will only get small bits and pieces, like little loops or logos they can sell for this ridiculous price. I will upload my full tracks to other sites with better licensing and so should you, if you take your composing seriously and if you are in it for the long run!

251 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
bodorobodo says

If I am not mistaken, they should have payed for the extended license, because this is the license that permits them to include your work into another “work”

• You may license, sub-license, sell, resell or re-distribute the Work or offer to do any of these things (together referred to as Resale) in the following circumstances:

the Work is incorporated into a larger work you have created …. * taken from Extended license explanation

1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

I totally agree with Taco, Gareth and Gari!
And here’s the news: The ‘Big Shakeup’ is up to us! I dont think Envato/AJ will change anything here unless we AUTHORS make them.
So that’s it for me, folks!! I am gonna STOP uploading my best music to AUDIOJUNGLE until this ridiculous licensing changes and I am gonna support other sites who offer a licensing model that doesnt devalue music like this.
Don’t get me wrong – I am thankful for AJ being a platform where I could start my adventure into the RFM world, but now after one year and the recent experience of making MUCH more money on other non ‘discount’ sites, I need to take a step here.
AJ simply should be treated by us authors like it treats us – and so in the future they will only get small bits and pieces, like little loops or logos they can sell for this ridiculous price. I will upload my full tracks to other sites with better licensing and so should you, if you take your composing seriously and if you are in it for the long run!
+1

Yup, I no longer sell extended licenses here, and I also started uploading to other sites.

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

@ Basspartout – couldn’t agree with you more. It’s true that AudioJungle devalues the industry with its “competitive prices” and in the long run it’s a shot in the foot.

@ bodorobodo – both licenses permit including your work into another “work”, the difference between the two is that the extended license intended for projects that are meant to be sold.

by
by
by
by
by
by