4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Mathewek says

Hello, I am android game developer, soon I will publish my game(s) – to make them better, I decided to buy some sounds from audio jungle, but I have small concern about which license should I use – Regular or Extended, yes I have been reading those licenses descriptions, but to be honest I am still not 100% sure, that`s why I prefer ask for clarification first. I have two planned possibilities to distribute my game(s)

a) My game will be published as a FREE application, therefore there are advertisements included, that might produce income for me as a author. Does it mean I need extended license?

b) My game will be published as a FREE application, therefore there are advertisements, and possibility to unlock some digital goods for additional payment (like unlocking new game levels or different game content for charge) Does it mean I need extended license?

I will be really grateful if someone may provide clarification, thanks in advance.

Cheers!

203 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
biyanpasau says

Buy extended so you have no worries about DMCA and therefore be able to sleep whole night :P

1084 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
TanyDi says

Buy extended so you have no worries about DMCA and therefore be able to sleep whole night :P
+ :-)
4 posts
Mathewek says

I just asked about proper license, not most expensive one, if there is no need to buy much more expensive one, I will not, cause I have different thing to pay for as well, so please do not post such a useless reply`s.

3903 posts After Effects Templates
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
miseld says

I just asked about proper license, not most expensive one, if there is no need to buy much more expensive one, I will not, cause I have different thing to pay for as well, so please do not post such a useless reply`s.

Did you check this

4 posts
Mathewek says

Thanks for reply, yes I did, but I am still not sure.

Extended license: “Single game for sale (e.g. for iPhone, Android etc.).”

But as mentioned my game is not for sale, its Free to download and use, there are advertisements therefore, plus I might include additional content to unlock in game (levels for example) for in app additional charge.

Thats why I am not sure.

614 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Finland
+1 more
uniquefx says

Seems to me like you need the extended license,even though the application is free.

http://audiojungle.net/licenses/regular_extended (parts d and g of the regular license)
3716 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Hi Mathewek,

for a more accurate answer on what license you need, please Contact Support who’ll be more than happy to give you an official answer and the advice you’re looking for.

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

I can’t speak as an offical representant, but as far as I know you need to buy the extended license. Envato doesn’t distinguish between a project which produces income and a project which is for free. And as you said you plan to implement advertising which can produce income for you anyway. So it’s not “free” anymore – it’s a business model behind your concept.

2518 posts Community Officer
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+16 more
contrastblack Staff says

Thanks for reply, yes I did, but I am still not sure.

Extended license: “Single game for sale (e.g. for iPhone, Android etc.).”

But as mentioned my game is not for sale, its Free to download and use, there are advertisements therefore, plus I might include additional content to unlock in game (levels for example) for in app additional charge.

Thats why I am not sure.

Hi there Mathewek,

while as quickandeasy mentioned, a support ticket might be the best way to receive accurate information on the licensing matter, I still wish to point out, even without you having to take my “personal advice” under consideration, that whatever profits you make, be it based on advertisement or in-app sales of other bits and pieces, is still called “selling” your game, even if the install-package was free. You are making use of “content” sold here, to obtain a “profit” based on something you deliver freely.

You can only affirm that your project is free, if you intend to release it as open-source, as it is, for free, and not expect ANY future profits from it.

Hence, even if you “give it for free” (which technically speaking you are not, you’re at most giving a “trial/limited” version away for free, while the rest is supposed to be bought later) in my opinion, the only viable option would be the Extended license for the content you intend to purchase. That being said, please do get in touch with Envato Support, and one of our experts on licensing matters will give you irrefutable advice.

Kind regards, CB.

by
by
by
by
by
by