2671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Chuckanucka says

its weird how FD does not rank first for flash components (4th) I can`t work out how those other sites could be above it without the network of enavto.

162 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
FLEXIncubator says

Well, i am pretty new to this market place. But i did some google search with “flash components”... all main sites seems to have smaller variety of components, much smaller… So, do prospect buyers have really good alternative to FlashDen?

And btw, guys, do we have any statistics on how many active buyers are on FlashDen now, and how many of them opted out from flashden to another market place. Nope… we only have few people here on the forum saying this. No offence, I just want to have some impartial assessment of this issue….

1310 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Personally when I started buying here (FD) there was no mention of single-use licenses; I checked carefully and even emailed the site owner here; there was nothing restricting usage to single projects (I even saved a copy of the then-current license agreement, so I have proof). Since at that time when I bought the files there was no single-site restriction stated, for those files I am not bound by the new license agreement (I know intellectual property law very well, and work with two different IP/DMCA rights attys for my sites).

I do believe that if someone’s a website designer and gets paid by multiple clients for reusing flash files, then it’s probably fair to ask them to pay for a multiple-use license.

But what about the many of us, who solely use the components on our own personal commercial sites only? When I buy a flash component, I expect to be able to use it say on 2 different of my websites, say a menu, without having to buy it twice, of course.

(only one other flash component site has multiple-licensing restrictions and it’s a crappy one, compared to here, and doesn’t have much in sales).

So what’s the consensus, the ideas from both vh/fd and the authors?

I’ve bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff here, but I’ll be cutting down my buying here dramatically if that’s not cleared up, because when I first started buying here years ago (mainly FD I ’m talking about), there was no single-usage restriction (I have a copy of the original license from the site I saved, plus you can probably see it at archive.org to check as well, or google cache).

If I’m a single business owner (no clients I do projects for), you authors don’t mind if for example I buy a menu (or .aep) and use it on 2 different of my own company’s websites, do you? What’s fd/vhs’ take on it, too?

I am probably the single biggest “power buyer” here and on FD, and I will be buying a lot less if I’m not allowed to use what I buy on 2-3 of my own company’s sites, which is what this site used to allow, from the license that was originally there last year. Please clarify – thanks!

That’s candid, honest voice of the customer feedback, probably your guys’ biggest customer… please clarify re “if it’s for use on your own personal company’s website you can use it on different sites”, vs for graphic designers who resell stuff for clients, which I don’t do.

I hope I can keep spending a fortune here on you guys. What’s the word?

thx, k

P.S. One of the main reasons I started buying here, and stopped buying templates from templates sites at $60 each, was so I could get specific components I could use on my sites, without having to buy an entire template, just to get one component I liked in it. The template sites I buy from don’t have any single restriction usage in place, especially for components found within templates—I hope I don’t have to go back to buying templates vs components here, just to get components I want.

You can check the original license agreement via links here: //”>http://web.archive.org/web/*/”>”>http://www.flashden.net”>

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
bubblemonkey says
what if you don’t mind selling your file once but they can use it multiple times? I mean that is how it has been since FD began :P very few actually practised buying the file twice if they needed it twice and it’s not actually possible for authors to tell how many times they have used it and purchased the item

I’ve also been thinking about that, and I don’t think I would mind either. It’s not like the internet is a fixed number of people, I read recently that there were a 100 new internet users per MINUTE in China alone, imagine in the whole world, I don’t think we’ll be running out of buyers any time soon.

yup i wouldnt mind either.. i have always thought that buyers can buy once and use multiple times. until the change was implemented and read this thread.

320 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
eirehotspur says

You are totally missing the point people.

It isn’t about fairness.

I think files here are very reasonable. I think authors deserve to make as much money from their files as they can.

Having said that, are you going to pay Adobe a fee everytime you design a website in Dreamweaver? Nope.

Am I going to pay $24 for a file I can get for $8 unrestricted licence elsewhere? Nope.

You adapt to the market around you.

Flashden is the best Components website hands down. They wanted to maximise profits for thenselves, because authors here are seemingly happy to let someone use their files on multiple websites.

I wanted to start buying up files I have bookmarked here for a long time….but I won’t be buying anything either until they clarify if they are going to do something about the licence issue.

Develop a Licence whereby Authors decide if they let users include it on different projects.

475 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Member of the Envato Team
+3 more
cyan Envato team says

Hi guys, just wanted to make sure you also saw this thread on licences that I started.

I hope that sheds some light on the issue, and if you have any questions for me and the team about this please leave them there and I’ll do my best to answer them. Thanks! :-)

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
601 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
LeatherwingStudios says

cyan,

first, thank you for the attempts at clearly communicating policies. that is a very good thing.

however, I do not think you have addressed the simple point that there are quite a few competitors selling similar and often the very same files by the very same authors, at the same or better prices and they still have unlimited use in their license terms.

your points on the other thread are all valid on their own,

Frankly, our files are cheap.
the big leader in the microstock market is photography…they all have a one use licence and a multiple use licence.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask that if a buyer is going to use a file for multiple projects (and so make money from it multiple times), that they buy it more than once. The investment is incredibly small versus the gain.

BUT , those points are not relevant when I can simply point my browser to another site and buy everything I need for a single price and then use it as I wish. I don’t care a whit what the stock photog market does! And FD’s “cheap” files are, all of a sudden, more expensive than other places!

As an example, I recently purchased a pack of 22 files somewhere else for $167 with unlimited use in commercial projects. I only wanted 4 or 5 of them but having the rest is a nice bonus and now they are in my toolkit forever and I do not have to manage licenses, make additional purchases, etc. Had I bought these very files at FD I would have paid MUCH MORE than what I paid and would be limited to a single use as well!!!

This is simple economics.

Again I appreciate your comments here and I truly enjoy FD (otherwise I would not bother discussing this further). But for now I will make the bulk of my purchases elsewhere. Maybe you are right and the Flash stock market will ultimately change to a single use license. Or maybe not and FD will have to adjust their policies as well. Time will tell.

320 posts
eirehotspur says

Yes exactly….FD has to react to the shift in the business they are in.

It is a no brainer.

475 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Member of the Envato Team
+3 more
cyan Envato team says

Hi guys, I hope you don’t mind, but as there are multiple discussions about licences going on it’s getting very difficult for us to read everyone’s comments and not miss everything.

So I’m going to close this thread and consolidate everything to this thread.

Please come over and have a read! :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by