9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
danny2p says

I’m a bit confused by conflicting information regarding use of purchased audio in iPhone and Xbox games.

In this article:

http://blog.audiojungle.net/inspiration/space-rush-iphone-game-uses-audiojungle-music/

Someone asks “can he actual sell this game with Audiojungle music in it?”

“Scott” replies: “Thanks for the question, someone! Our basic, regular, and cheapest license can be used for purchasing audio intended to be used in one project/game.”

However elsewhere, and in an email I had from support, suggests the “Conditional Resale Permitted” licence is required.

The games I’m working on are for iPhone and Xbox (Indie Games), which might turn a tiny profit if the cheapest licence will suffice. However with the conflicting information in the forum, I’m not sure whether this is the case.

Clarification would be appreciated :-)

2710 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Sorry for any confusion. We’ve realized the current licenses can be somewhat prohibitive so we are working on better ones. To answer your question for now however, it all depends on whether the game is free or commercial:

• If you game is distributed for FREE , then you only need the (1x) single use no resale license.
  • If your game is commercial / for sale, then you would need the single use conditional resale license (x50).

If people are paying for the product you’re making (the exception being one client) then you need a resale license. That rule is universal so you can always use it to determine which license is needed.

Please note that the (x50) license was a recent addition to our site after the iPhone game blog post was published. Again, we’re currently evaluating ways to improve our licenses.

9 posts
danny2p says

Well I’m afraid you’ve priced yourself far out of range for most iPhone (or XNA ) games =(

I bought some music a few months ago for an XNA game I was working on. It made a loss of around £20 after all expensives (the goal was never to make money, I was making the games as a hobby anyway, it was just fun to try to sell them).

Now I’m working on the sequel, and I came back for music (and picked outa few cool tracks). There’s absolutely no way I can pay 50x the price I paid last time. My total profit (before expenses) for the first game was around £110. That wouldn’t pay for the sound alone with your new licences.

Unless you rethink your prices, you’re going to lose a lot of business from indie Xbox/iPhone developers like me. Only last week I was recommending your site to friends (also working on games), but it seems now they (and I) will need to find another source.

I really hope this is something you reconsider, else people making a few hundred quid from games/apps will never be able to buy your music.

2710 posts
+16 more

We’re in agreement, Danny. :) Like I said, this is something that is currently being reviewed for the benefit of both customers like yourself and authors.

2204 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Scottwills

I think there should be an area for music that will be only sold once. Let say a musician likes my song and wants to buy the song so this would be kind of an exclusive sale and he would be able to use the song and re-sell it. I have seen this somewhere but for some reason i cannot remember the name of the site. Same with using songs in games this also would be an exclusive sale but the author of the game would be able to re-sell the music with the game.

I think this would be a very good idea and i can for see good sales. Just an idea.

Cheers

9 posts
danny2p says

I would expect exclusive licences would cost more than the resale licence, so it would be no good for indie developers like me. The only reason my last game had music is because I could get a few tracks for about £13.

Indies don’t need (or want to pay for) exclusive licences, we just need something cheap. Our games might only sell 100 copies, and at 59p for an iPhone game, you can imagine the budgets we have :-)

70 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
tomh says

Don’t forget non exclusive authors don’t have to sell inside AJ, so the developer could always settle for a reasonable price via email.

2710 posts
+16 more

All great ideas and suggestions, thanks everyone, duly noted. :)

496 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
JType says

@danny2p -

Don’t forget that a lot of the authors here are also available for freelance work, so if feel free to approach them for any projects you might have.

You might be able to work out a deal whereby, in exchange for audio that is tailor-made for your project, you could pay a smaller fee and/or give the author exposure and credit for their work.

9 posts
danny2p says

Thanks for the replies. Contacting authors directly is an option, but it’s not really convenient for the sort of thing I’m doing. There are a lot of authors here, and I just wanted some tracks that roughly fit with my game – being able to just play some samples and pick some that fit is very easy.

Generally I would expect “freelance” work to be more expensive. I was able to pay around $6 per track for my first game. It was only that cheap because they where being sold multiple times. It also introduces other complications (such as a licence being decided on).

That said – if anyone read is interesting in supplying music (one track I quite liked was Your Crunk – http://audiojungle.net/item/your-crunk/46714 but I haven’t really got final ideas for the style of the game yet) for around $8 per track, I’d be interested in hearing from you! :-P (Email: games at dantup dot me dot uk)

This goes for graphics too – if anyone is a wizz with Photoshop and interested in doing graphics for my game for cheap….!

I’m more than happy to give credit for peoples work, even up to giving them a full screen splash upon startup of my game :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by