58 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Argentina
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
cocoonstudios says

I`m new here in AJ. As i saw, there is a very nice community of authors. Great people with good energy and desire to help others in this community.

Let`s begin a thread to help us each other. What do you think if we start with the mastering process?

One of the issues we have to count is the quality of our tracks, and i think in the mastering proces we can high up the quality of our tracks without smashing them with only a lot of gain and high volume.

Share with us your knowledge about this issue.

If you use logic how do you master your tracks? If you use pro-tools how do you master your tracks. If you use nuendo/cubase how do you do it?

etc.. etc..

If we increase the quality of our tracks, the marketplace will increase, our sells are going to increase, the prices are going to increase…

So what are we wainting? Let`s help us each other to make our market better.

Thank you all for your time… And keep doing what we love!

213 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
vaisnava says

I think most people will agree that a great master starts with a great mix.

. <- period

After that pre-req, mastering is really a matter of fine tuning the balance and monitoring it in an accurate environment which translates well to many different environments.

A quote I once heard that helps support that concept is: “If you try to polish a turd it’s still a piece of $4!7”.

Achieving a great mix is a matter of talent, knowledge and to some degree equipment, and according to many it is the hardest part after the composition.

However, I am no expert… Just regurgitating things I have heard and read.

1326 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+5 more
lucafrancini Reviewer says

I think most people will agree that a great master starts with a great mix.

. <- period

After that pre-req, mastering is really a matter of fine tuning the balance and monitoring it in an accurate environment which translates well to many different environments.

A quote I once heard that helps support that concept is: “If you try to polish a turd it’s still a piece of $4!7”.

Achieving a great mix is a matter of talent, knowledge and to some degree equipment, and according to many it is the hardest part after the composition.

However, I am no expert… Just regurgitating things I have heard and read.

+1

I just master my songs inside the project, and in my mix stereo out chain there aren’t too many plugins. -EQuality (for boosting some high frequencies (between 7000hz and 11000hz it depends)
-bx_XL (wich looks like a multiband comp/saturator, but that I only use for make mono frequencies under a certain value, like 90hz)
-SonnoxLimiter
-Voxengo Span (to check out the spectrum and see if there is something strange. Like some peaks at 20hz that I can’t hear or to check correlation phase issues)

One thing that I usually do when I’m mixing is first drop the volume down and listen carefully if I can recognize and hear ever instrument, even at that low level. Then I pump up the volume, very high, and listen if there is something disturbing or that comes out too much, that maybe at normal listening levels I wouldn’t have noticed.
Usually I solve these issues with level adjustments of 1 db or some tight eq.

61 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United Kingdom
iSMPro says

I recently got Ozone 5 which is just awesome for mastering. When the track is mixed, I fire up Ozone 5 and select one of the presets. Then I do an A/B comparison with a commercially produced track and my track and tweak the preset until it sounds relatively like the commercial track

269 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
soundroll says

I try to mix in a way that I won’t have to make much on master bus. I route all channels to one group channel and this is my master bus, that goes to stereo out on the rme. This way I can open stereo audio track and add there some reference tracks, then I just solo one of them and try to compare between the mix and reference.

75 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Italy
pietrogirardi says

I try to mix in a way that I won’t have to make much on master bus. I route all channels to one group channel and this is my master bus, that goes to stereo out on the rme. This way I can open stereo audio track and add there some reference tracks, then I just solo one of them and try to compare between the mix and reference.
Soundroll, may I ask you what you mean with “mix in a way you don’t have to make much on master bus”? Are there any plugins you use more often than others on single tracks to help you achieve a better overall result?
What kind of processing do you use on your stereo track to mach the sound of other reference tracks (widening, EQ, compression…)?
Many questions (sorry about that ;-) )but you are the top selling act here on AJ, so I think your information could be very helpful.

Best,
Pietro
269 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
soundroll says

Soundroll, may I ask you what you mean with “mix in a way you don’t have to make much on master bus”? Are there any plugins you use more often than others on single tracks to help you achieve a better overall result?
What kind of processing do you use on your stereo track to mach the sound of other reference tracks (widening, EQ, compression…)?
Many questions (sorry about that ;-) )but you are the top selling act here on AJ, so I think your information could be very helpful.

Best,
Pietro
When I mix, I already have a reference track on another channel and I listen to this reference during a mix. So, I try to keep on balance, frequencies and overall level like the reference song, during the mix process.i don’t see any reason to separate the “mix” and “mastering” processes in my situation. I think there is no mastering, actually :)
No specific rules for single channels, really. If I need to eq, I insert eq, if I need compression, I insert compressor, or any other tools.
On a master channel I insert often EQ, or bx_digital V2 (for widening and EQ) then compressor (not always, and usually Waves Renaissance compressor), and at the end L2. All the channels and groups routing to this master channel during a mix from the beginning, and I try to keep on input level of the master channel not too high.
I mix on medium – low volume so I can hear all instruments, and check the mix on high level when I am almost finished.
75 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pietrogirardi says

When I mix, I already have a reference track on another channel and I listen to this reference during a mix. So, I try to keep on balance, frequencies and overall level like the reference song, during the mix process.i don’t see any reason to separate the “mix” and “mastering” processes in my situation. I think there is no mastering, actually :)
No specific rules for single channels, really. If I need to eq, I insert eq, if I need compression, I insert compressor, or any other tools.
On a master channel I insert often EQ, or bx_digital V2 (for widening and EQ) then compressor (not always, and usually Waves Renaissance compressor), and at the end L2. All the channels and groups routing to this master channel during a mix from the beginning, and I try to keep on input level of the master channel not too high.
I mix on medium – low volume so I can hear all instruments, and check the mix on high level when I am almost finished.
Thank you very much. I always under-estimate the importance of reference tracks, at least during mixing, but from now I’ll try to include them in my workflow from the very beginning ;-)
1326 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+5 more
lucafrancini Reviewer says

This is a very simple but smart suggestion, because if we import a reference track with all processors into the master bus, the reference would be itself affected by those effects. That is the reason why I use to listen to my references through VLC once in a while, when mixing, but it’s uncomfortable.

I will turn a group into my masterbus from now on ;)

737 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Russian Federation
JohnMcNeill says

In Reaper You can route track goes directly to your output without meeting with master bus. Faster and easier ;)

Thanks for advise!

by
by
by
by
by
by