47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ClassicBeauty says

Let’s say you write a catchy fun tune, and it’s somewhere between 1 and 3 minutes long. A recent thread included an opinion that making tunes 30 or 60 seconds long is important. My related question may be too subjective to get a clear cut answer, but here goes:

Does anyone have even a vague idea what % of buyers of catchy fun tunes might want 30’s or 60’s? Do you regularly make extra mixes for your tunes, making serious edits when necessary to create 30’s and 60’s?

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Many boutique music libraries (I’m talking outside of Audiojungle) ask their composers to prepare the following:

- Full Mix

- ‘Teaser’ (showcasing the best bits of your song, usually around 40-50 seconds long)

- Alternate mixes (different set of instruments, usually a ‘reduced’ mix)

- 30 Second Mix.

- 60 Second Mix.

- 1 or 2 Loops.

The more of these you can supply, the more attractive your file is.

There is no correct answer one way or the other. It’s not a bad thing to create lots of 30 second / 60 second tracks. But you can also create a 3 minute track and it will sell well. However, you are increasing your chances of success if you provide shorter versions of that track as well.

I believe Audiojungle allows for 5 versions. So, that’s the main track + 4 variations on that track.

In summary, if you present your buyer with more options, that usually helps, but you should also make it clear that those options are available to them in your description.

808 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

- Full Mix

- ‘Teaser’ (showcasing the best bits of your song, usually around 40-50 seconds long)

- 30 Second Mix.

- 60 Second Mix.

- 1 or 2 Loops.

Supplying all that just for $14 is streetwalking in my opinion.

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

But only being able to use it in one project…I personally wouldn’t pay much more than that. If I can use it indefinitely and just need to file queue sheet, then $50 to $100 no problem.

47 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ClassicBeauty says

- Full Mix

- 30 Second Mix.

- 60 Second Mix.

- 1 or 2 Loops.

For me, I think it will depend on the song. If I know it’s bit of a niche tune that has no chance of making a lot of sales, or if it’s more through-composed and would be harder to slice and dice, I might agree. But if it’s a tune that I’ve worked pretty hard to create, and making 30’s and 60’s would go pretty quick, at least for now I’ll go ahead with it. I may change my mind in a few months, as I haven’t really tried that approach yet. For that matter, all my first tunes were classical, so I’m entering new territory in a lot of ways now.

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

I did not say you have to supply all of those, I presented them as options.

It’s really not hard to edit tracks, especially as many of the tracks – especially here on AJ – are locked into 4 and 8 bar sequences. They are very easy to edit. Maybe 15 minutes of extra work. An alternate mix for example is just a case of muting a few tracks and re-exporting, done. We are not talking a difference in composition here, merely a matter of making a few things more convenient.

Regardless what you think of how much 1 track + 4 variations should cost, it’s a good habit to get in to. If you end up scoring a TV show or delivering a music package for a TV show, you will be asked to do different lengths of the same piece of music. If you work in the music library business (Immediate Music, X-Ray Dogg, Two Steps From Hell, ICON Trailer Music etc…) you DEFINITELY will be asked to prepare versions such as those mentioned above. So like I said, if nothing else, it’s good practice, even if you don’t end up uploading the variations to AJ.

Additionally, Videohive producers really appreciate having different lengths to work with.

Personally, price really has very little to do with it when it comes to preparing tracks for Audiojungle. The price is already so low that anything you upload could be considered ‘streetwalking’. Even if they upped the price by 100%, it could still be considered streetwalking. As a result, anything I upload here I am happy for it to be sold cheaply. Apart from one exception, I do not compose FOR Audiojungle so I’m not investing any significant time here (apart from on the forums!!). To paraphrase, with my current schedule, I will not spend (for example) 20 hours making a track just for Audiojungle only to sell it for $14. But….old stuff that is just sitting on my hard drive, gathering dust, for sure I’ll upload it, with or without variations. Better to have some value than zero value.

by
by
by
by
by
by