274 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Hey guys, Was wondering, what lenght of a track works for you better (I mean commercially speaking) Usually when I start working on a new composition, I dont really have in mind how long will it be. A commercial for example would be not longer than 30 seconds. But should I just make 30 seconds tracks when I have this target in mind? Or should I just make it 2-3 minutes and just leave it to the potential buyers to cut it or put some fade outs where they need? Of course maybe you will say that its always better to sell 1 track with variations in time…small and larger version. But still…small and concentrated tracks Vs 3,4,5 minutes tracks in which slight changes occur of the main theme?

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

As a buyer of stock music for my customers’ projects, I personally prefer to have as many options as possible. For me, time is money (isn’t it for everyone!?) so if I’m doing a radio commercial, I want a 30 second version. Or if it’s for a company narration, then 2 or 3 minutes is fine. However, the longer ones really need to be engineered correctly so I can easily make cuts to lengthen the music. So there has to be some type of uniformity in the sound to help out with this. If there’s nothing I can do to edit a 3 minute song to 4 or 5 minutes, then it’s not so much use to me.

This is how I feel about it and what fits with my workflow. So in short, the more options the better. Hard drive space is cheap; I don’t mind “wasting” it. ;)

394 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Twisterium says

Yes. It’s definitely better to prepare several variations of the one piece of music. And a loop version (or few) among them. Such items look more usable for the customer/buyer. I often try to make version about 1 minute length and a full version (2-3 minutes).

274 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

@Buddhabeats : I totally agree regarding the ’’engineering’’ of the track to fit more purposes.

@Twisterium : Great advice. Working on the main stuff, making it not longer than 1 minute and than create the variations. Haven’t done this till now but I think I will try to make it as a standard for my work. A main track WITH variations. Guess it has higher commercial appeal.

by
by
by
by
by
by