• Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Coding is about bug fixing/testing/frustration. In the WP era I do think designing is more important.

It’s like comparing granmas with toads. One does simply go without another. Good design with crappy code or good code with crappy design – they are both terrible.

And what I have to say about the quotes – bullshit.

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Steve Jobs and Hoffman were talking not exactly about coding and design. Asking for programming and creativity to become basic quality of new generations like other habits. Both are good but what about stress level that hiked in the recent century? To be creative and logically strong, it needs less efforts to earn material for living – not just external motivation. Vast majority of us still struggling for survival – like primitive habits covered by modern colors.

Add 2 more compulsory subjects to the schools and there will be improved stress for kids.

905 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • South Africa
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
joiaco says

I’m nearly as ‘old’ as mfishel, and neuroscience has been a long time interest of mine. From what i understand, very basically, each time we have a ‘thought’ there is a series of electrical sparks between the brain’s neurons. Thinking the same things over and over strengthen the same pathways, like animals taking the same path through a landscape. Great if you are practicing to play a musical instrument or perfect a golf swing! Eventually the path gets ‘etched’ so deeply (becomes a habit) that it is really difficult to go in a different direction.

But creative thinking is about making connections between the neurons in DIFFERENT ways, avoiding habitual pathways, so that the mind ‘map’ is always open to NEW routes, infinite possibilities and potentials. So the more one is interested in and thinks about, the richer the creative output.

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

@joiaco , that is a much cleaner clearer explanation. Thankyou, makes a lot of sense.

46 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
mfishel says

I’m nearly as ‘old’ as mfishel, and neuroscience has been a long time interest of mine. From what i understand, very basically, each time we have a ‘thought’ there is a series of electrical sparks between the brain’s neurons. Thinking the same things over and over strengthen the same pathways, like animals taking the same path through a landscape. Great if you are practicing to play a musical instrument or perfect a golf swing! Eventually the path gets ‘etched’ so deeply (becomes a habit) that it is really difficult to go in a different direction. But creative thinking is about making connections between the neurons in DIFFERENT ways, avoiding habitual pathways, so that the mind ‘map’ is always open to NEW routes, infinite possibilities and potentials. So the more one is interested in and thinks about, the richer the creative output.

Great thoughts!....And hey, I’m not that old! Ha!

905 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • South Africa
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
joiaco says

Great thoughts!....And hey, I’m not that old! Ha!

Haha, we are very rare here on GR! I’m 2 years younger than you, but haven’t really evolved since i was eleven and a half. The best thing that ever happened in my life.

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

learn to code, it brings things to life and for me is therefore more fun :)

325 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Portugal
+3 more
cmoreira says

I didn’t read all the entries of the debate, but I’ll make my contribution short:

When I was young I was very good at drawing. I went to art school (learned to draw better) and took a degree in Multimedia design (where I had some coding lessons) and eventually first started my career as a Designer. From there to web designer and now web developer. I hardly draw anything this days, just code. but I learned how to do both.

Dealing with a blank page, it’s like a white canvas. Html+CSS are great drawing tools!

I think it’s possible to grow up learning both :)

939 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Dealing with a blank page, it’s like a white canvas. Html+CSS are great drawing tools!

I think this sums it all.

434 posts here for love
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
nCrafts says

Have been wanting to say this, but couldn’t find the right words. Well put. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by