84 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Jonah-B says

Thank you all for your advice! I’m taking all of it into consideration and continuing my research of the tons of different options. The Macbook Pro 13” that SERFmusic mentioned is the one I was considering. I know the screen size will make things more difficult to manage, but with my budget I’m going to need to make some sacrifices. The screen size will be an inconvenience, but it’s one that I can work around.

I’ve got two main reasons for going with a laptop over a desktop. The first is simply that I’m on the go a lot and having something portable means I’ll have more opportunity to work on mixes. The other reason is that I have pretty severe back problems and can’t sit for more than about 20 minutes at a desk. I do a lot of the time consuming mixing while I’m laying on the couch :D

84 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Jonah-B says

I checked out the Mac Mini too. It does look really good. I don’t have a screen that would be compatible. I would also probably want to upgrade the ram. Otherwise it does seem like a good deal. More options to look at :D

thesensercomplex
thesensercomplex Recent Posts
Threads Started
453 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
thesensercomplex says

Perhaps a refurbished MacBook Pro would do the trick, for under a thousand. Completely under warranty directly from Apple. I got a refurbished iMac six months ago and totally happy with the 21” screen. Its a different world from working on a laptop. Then again you can also attach a larger screen to a laptop. Good luck. I love new toys :)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
84 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Jonah-B says

I didn’t realize Apple sold refurbished laptops! The thought occurred to me to look out for a used one, but I’m pretty weary of used computers. If it’s being sold through apple though it might be a good idea. Thanks! I’m gonna look through them.

409 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
joesacco says

I’m on a refurb macbook 13” right now and it seems like I’ve had this thing forever, and it’s still amazing.

139 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
SERFmusic says

Thank you all for your advice! I’m taking all of it into consideration and continuing my research of the tons of different options. The Macbook Pro 13” that SERFmusic mentioned is the one I was considering. I know the screen size will make things more difficult to manage, but with my budget I’m going to need to make some sacrifices. The screen size will be an inconvenience, but it’s one that I can work around. I’ve got two main reasons for going with a laptop over a desktop. The first is simply that I’m on the go a lot and having something portable means I’ll have more opportunity to work on mixes. The other reason is that I have pretty severe back problems and can’t sit for more than about 20 minutes at a desk. I do a lot of the time consuming mixing while I’m laying on the couch :D

Hey Jonah, if you have a spare computer monitor, you can always get a $20 adapter to hook 2nd monitor up to the MacBook 13’. I have done that with my 15” Pro so I have two monitors (one for my edit window and the other for my mix window). It makes a world of difference for sure.

If you don’t have one, it’s always an option to purchase a monitor separately whenever you can and get the adaptor!

120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AudioMonks says

Go for the macbook pro dude. Its a wining horse, i use it for 3 years now and im very happy.

84 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Jonah-B says

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help. My new Macbook Pro 13” is scheduled to arrive in a little over a week! I went with the 8gb of ram, but other than that I stuck with the standard setup. It’s gonna be awesome. Can’t wait to get ahold of my new toy :D

The extra monitor is a good idea, Serf. I’ll probably look into that down the line.

139 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
SERFmusic says

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help. My new Macbook Pro 13” is scheduled to arrive in a little over a week! I went with the 8gb of ram, but other than that I stuck with the standard setup. It’s gonna be awesome. Can’t wait to get ahold of my new toy :D The extra monitor is a good idea, Serf. I’ll probably look into that down the line.

Awesome. I’m totally happy for you!

thesensercomplex
thesensercomplex Recent Posts
Threads Started
453 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
thesensercomplex says

Did you go with a refurbished? Getting RAM on the open market rather than from Apples is cheaper. Regardless, IT’S A NEW TOY ! Also, Logic Pro (download version) from the Apple store is now $199, instead of the $499 (full box).

by
by
by
by
by
by