• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
guitarjock says
unseenbattle said
guitarjock said
I am excited! I will be getting Komplete 8 Ultimate in the next week or so. It’s going to be great having a full production suite again. After my last computer crash, I’ve been stuck using Magix software.

Congratulations guitarjock!

So far, my few days with KOMPLETE 8 (not the ultimate version… I’m jealous … haha) has been great.

Don’t even know where to begin … MASSIVE , KONTAKT 5, ... still reading manuals and watching vids to learn all this sampling goodness :)

It did take all day Saturday and part of Sunday to get everything installed and all the downloads done and updates applied. Well worth the excruciating wait though. ;)

Wow, I am not looking forward to loading it. I am also getting a new computer that will be dedicated to my music. I may be waiting until the 29th of October to purchase the computer. But I should probably order KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate now so that I will have it in time.

I can’t wait to hear the difference having a dedicated computer and some better software makes in my music. I am going to try to become a perfectionist in my mixes!

What I’m really exited about though is that I will be able to make some better electronic music, and that I will have Guitar Rig 5 Pro. I need something to make my recorded guitar sound better. I am hoping Guitar Rig 5 Pro will help me to find that thicker, warmer sound.

Let me know how things are going with it. Do you have any pointers yet on anything dealing with the software?

- guitarjock

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
jhunger says

Great thread! I had been going back and forth on whether I want to upgrade, and to which version.

Guitar Center has a promo going on until the 16th – $75 off orders $349 or more – so I’m going to give in to my G.A.S. and upgrade to Ultimate :)

I think there is enough there to keep me busy for a loooong time…

748 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
guitarjock says
jhunger said
Great thread! I had been going back and forth on whether I want to upgrade, and to which version.

Guitar Center has a promo going on until the 16th – $75 off orders $349 or more – so I’m going to give in to my G.A.S. and upgrade to Ultimate :)

I think there is enough there to keep me busy for a loooong time…

I want to thank you J! I used the same Guitar Center promotion and saved $150 on my Komplete 8 Ultimate purchase. Now I am just waiting on my new PC.

Can’ t wait to play with all the new toys!

- guitarjock

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • United States
jhunger says

Hey, guitarjock, glad I could save you a few bucks!

Mine’s in the mail – I can’t wait! The hard disk delivery will be awesome – I remember the Komplete 7 install taking about half the day :P. Very much looking forward to checking out Alicia’s Keys and some of the new effects.

748 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
guitarjock says
jhunger said
Hey, guitarjock, glad I could save you a few bucks! Mine’s in the mail – I can’t wait! The hard disk delivery will be awesome – I remember the Komplete 7 install taking about half the day :P. Very much looking forward to checking out Alicia’s Keys and some of the new effects.

I’ve been playing with Massive for now on my 7 year old laptop. It’s amazing what you can do with it.

I also just bought a USB audio interface so that I can record my guitars. I’m using it to produce my next song.

So far, the USB interface and Massive are making my tracks sound 100 times better. I can’t even imagine what using the rest of Komplete 8 is going to be like. I can’t wait for my new computer to get here! 2 more weeks to go. The World really needs Star Trek “beaming technology” now, lol.

RecycledRecitals
RecycledRecitals Recent Posts Threads Started
96 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
RecycledRecitals says

Just my 2 cents: I looked at purchasing Komplete 8 as an investment, and so far I’m very happy. This was my first time purchasing the full version of Kontakt, so that alone opened up so many doors and possibilities that it was worth the investment. My other comments are kind of redundant but hopefully that affirms that they’re true lol… Massive and Absynth are beautiful synths with countless hours of creative potential. The sampled instruments really aren’t that fantastic (I don’t use any of the pianos…was pretty let down with all of the ones included). The percussion samples they have are pretty nice, and overall I have to say I’m glad I purchased it.

I installed everything because I was pretty eager to hear as much as possible, but now I think I’m going to uninstall a handful of the sampled instruments.

Just another quick note: Alicia’s Keys is only available in the larger Komplete package (can’t remember what its called) it’s not available in the standard version of Komplete 8.

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • United States
jhunger says

@digitallush: Yeah, Alicia’s Keys are only in the Komplete 8 Ultimate version – that’s probably a good thing to clarify so that somebody doesn’t pay for the standard version thinking it’s included :P. I agree about Massive and Absynth, though I’m still just starting to scratch the surface there. I’m an acoustic guitar guy so the synth stuff is very alien to me, but I’m trying to develop an ear for soundscapes that complement acoustic music and both these synths can produce great sounds for that.

Also I agree on the pianos (upright, New York, etc) – I got them with 7 and never use them. I have Akoustik Pianos from a while back and I think they sound somewhat better (though a friend of mine claims they are the same as the ones that shipped with 7 I don’t believe it). I like the Scarbee electric pianos all right, though.

@guitarjock: Sign me up for beaming technology :). It’s amazing – UPS always seems to deliver on the days when I have band practice in the evening, and according to their tracker this week will be no exception.

748 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
guitarjock says
jhunger said

Also I agree on the pianos (upright, New York, etc) – I got them with 7 and never use them. I have Akoustik Pianos from a while back and I think they sound somewhat better (though a friend of mine claims they are the same as the ones that shipped with 7 I don’t believe it). I like the Scarbee electric pianos all right, though.

That’s sad about the pianos. I just loaded Ultimate and have began working on some new songs and playing around. I haven’t had much of a chance to try out the pianos, but I have started playing with Alicias Keys. They sounds great so far! I’ll let you know more once I complete something.

I am really happy with the Scarbee sounds so far. I really like the basses. They sound so real and well recorded. This is my first time having computers that can actually play virtual sampled instruments. It opens up a whole new realm if you have only been using loops and synth sounds!

I certainly recommend to anyone planning on expanding into the virtual samples instrument realm to try to do it on a system that is above the minimum specs if they can. The min specs on Komplete 8 are as follows:

- Windows 7 (latest service pack, 32/64 Bit). Intel Core Duo or AMD Athalon 64, 2 GB RAM)
- Mac OS X 10.6 (latest update), Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
- 5 GB free disc space/240 GB for complete installation, USB 2.0

I ended up getting a PC with the following: Intel Core i7-930 processor, and raising my RAM . For Ram I have 9 GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz. I also made sure I had decent hard drives. I ended getting a 1 TB – 7200 RPM SATA 3 .0 with 16 MB Cache and added a 500 GB Sata 3.0 as a second dedicated drive.

Here’s a question for anyone with a dedicated instal of Komplete 8 or anyone who uses virtual instrument libraries: Should I have installed Komplete 8 and its libraries to the 2nd drive? Or should I just use the 2nd drive for back-ups? What are your thoughts?

- guitarjock

748 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
guitarjock says

I have to say, this software was well worth the $900 plus dollars I spent. The sound quality of the sample files and the sheer power of Massive (synth), along with the incredible sounds you can get out of Guitar Rig 5 Pro are what I think are its highlights.

My favorite part of the whole thing is the controllability of Massive. I simply load it into my DAW (Ableton Live 8) and move a control knob. When I move the knob, it automatically loads an automation curve into my DAW . It’s ease of use and controllability are insane!

I would highly suggest this software to anyone looking to start a great sample/software library. I am not sure how useful it is to someone who already owns tons of softaware and librairies, but for someone starting out who is looking to seriously get into making royalty free music or beats, I would say you almost can’t go wrong with it.

Anyway, those are my two cents after spending a few days with it.

990 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
simaudio says

@Guitarjock

Hi, i use 4 drives.

One for software, one for audio, one for libraries and one for back up. I must have drive envy i think ? I know plenty of people that don’t but it is something that i have always done, it does help to keep things organised.

You can partition of course, but that is a hell of a lot of stuff to have on one drive. Or get an external one for back up and use the 500gb for either audio or samples.

Hope this helps :nerdy:

by
by
by
by
by
by