1000 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
simaudio says

I’m on Komplete 7, i had Komplete 6, then upgraded on a deal. The problem with N.I. is they just keep bringing out stuff all the time, i would recommend having a look on the N.I. forums and see what a lot of the users think….......i was looking myself the other day and i have to say it’s a mixed bag. I only upgraded to Komplete 7 about three months ago then they come out with version 8, hence the deal ! (the upgrade only cost a £100) The thing is…....if you want to get Kontakt 5, then it makes financial sense to get Komplete 8 as you get all the other good stuff that Gareth mentioned and there is some good stuff there, it’s virtually the same price, Hope this helps make your mind up:)

334 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
unseenbattle Volunteer moderator says

Thanks Gareth and simaudio. You’re definitely talking me into it. ;)

Gareth – the KOMPLETE 8 package doesn’t include the Alicia Keys piano OR any of the strings & cinematic products. Those are only in the KOMPLETE 8 Ultimate package. Here’s the comparison chart. Ultimate is an extra $400! I’m sure it’s worth it, but we’ve now traveled beyond the wife’s approval to purchase. ;)

I’ll check out the NI forums simaudio and see what others are saying as well. I was actually kind of excited about the other synths in KOMPLETE 8 and also Studio Drummer (I’ve heard good things about that).

Do you guys keep your sample libraries on an external drive and then only pull the samples you intend on using over to the local HDD via your DAW like Logic does by copying the files into the project folder?

I ask cause I was able to get myself back to 100GB free on the local HDD by moving a bunch of old projects and some folders of samples to my firewire 800 1TB external drive.

Also, do any of you have experience using KOMPLETE 8 in OS X Lion yet?

Thanks again for all the advice.

John

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

John, do you have an eSATA port on your computer. eSATA can handle pretty large sample libraries. Much better than USB or Firewire 400. As you have Firewire 800 though, you might be OK. Can’t vouch for that, but can definitely vouch for eSATA. An external eSATA drive is very very powerful and a much cheaper option than an internal SSD . But if you can afford an SSD …. ;)

Also, you don’t need Komplete 8 Ultimate, that’s for sure, especially for your needs. Look at the stupid amount of pianos you get anyway even with the regular version. You’ll never use them all.

That said, of the stuff that Komplete has, what you want (in my opinion)

- Battery 3
- Kontakt 5
- Guitar Rig (it really is incredible)
- Absynth 5
- Massive

The rest is on a ‘as I need it’ basis. The 5 products above will have you making music for a very long time.

Buying those 5 products separately would cost FAR more than buying them as part of Komplete 8.

I have no experience with OSX Lion but NI have in the past 2-3 years been pretty good about getting things working on new platforms (they were awful before 2008).

334 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more

No eSata Gareth, I’ll have to test out the firewire 800 (it’s 800mbps compared to esata’s 3gbps) and see how it goes.

Man, I really appreciate all your input. Thanks so much!

I think I’m gonna take the dive and then next year re-evaluate the pricing of SSD HDD ’s for an internal HDD upgrade.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

748 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
guitarjock says

Thanks for starting this thread. I am also lookimg at Komplete 8 and Logic Pro. It may be a while before I can purchase however, so I am still researching my options.

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Firewire 800 will be fine as long as you’re not loading every instrument at the same time ;)

124 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
JStephens says
garethcoker said
KONTAKT (any version) has been the most essential part of my setup for many years.

It has evolved from originally being a pretty dodgy product, to being the most common and certainly the most stable sampling platform in the industry. Everyone makes products for it.

That said, I still think you’d be mad not to get Komplete 8. There is great stuff in there, but you have the option not to install all of it. But when you do want to try something new, you can dig in and have a look.

e.g. The orchestral stuff, it’s not the best, but it’s a good starting point. The Battery drum kits are fabulous. Absynth and Massive are great synths….. etc.etc. Guitar Rig Pro has saved me thousands of dollars in buying real amps to get the sound I want….!!

Yes you should buy Kontakt 5.

But really you should buy Komplete 8 and look at it as a lifetime investment.

+1

Just bought complete a few days ago, haven’t gone through it all but so far it is amazing, a nice addition for any producer.

334 posts
+4 more

Very helpful feedback indeed.

If anyone else has any thoughts please chime in, I’m all ears. ;) ... and I guess that’s good since I’m working with audio. If this were videohive I’d want to be all eyes. Ok, it’s late and the silly is at it’s peak…........ bedtime.

:)

Thanks again everyone!

1000 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
simaudio says

I have a pc set-up and run windows xp, I have all my sample libraries for Komplete on a separate drive, I think that’s the only way to go…. a separate drive, as Gareth said you probably should only load the stuff you really want to start off with and when you sort your drive set up out, load the rest of it.

Komplete 8 ultimate looks incredible value but I’m not sure about the drive thing, I’d rather have the discs even if it means I have to sit there for a day and load it all, I suppose it makes it cheaper to produce.

There is a lot of rubbish on the Komplete 8 ultimate package I.e. The Mouth, The Finger etc I think the rule here is not to get sucked in to the gimmicky things otherwise it turns into a monster, but on a positive note some of the fx are supposed to be good like Reflecktor (convolution reverb) and there are some modelled vintage compressors, the only down side is you have to use these fx in guitar rig as a insert plug in. I like Battery and also Reaktor is a lot of fun.

If you go for Komplete 8 you will get a voucher towards another product anyway (Alicia keys, studio drummer etc)

Hope this helps more :)

334 posts
+4 more

Hey simaudio,

Thanks for the input. I don’t understand what you meant when you said…

simaudio said
Komplete 8 ultimate looks incredible value but I’m not sure about the drive thing, I’d rather have the discs even if it means I have to sit there for a day and load it all, I suppose it makes it cheaper to produce.

The only option I have for KOMPLETE 8 is to purchase the boxed version. I’m probably completely misunderstanding you though.

Thanks again for the input… yes it was helpful. :)

John

by
by
by
by
by
by