334 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
unseenbattle Volunteer moderator says

Hey everyone.

I’m about to purchase the new Native Instruments KOMPLETE 8 package and wanted to know if anyone has any real world experience using the product (or the previous version since this is so new).

I use Logic Pro 9 as my DAW and am going to have to significantly clean up my 250GB HDD on my macbook pro to fit 100GB of samples from the KOMPLETE package.

Any warnings, suggestions, praises or anything else you can think of about this software would be greatly appreciated before I go and spend a good chunk of change to find I can’t use something or realize something’s incompatible.

I’m using OS X Lion (so, yes I’m on the bleeding edge) ;)

Thanks a lot guys (and gals) ...

John Columbo

693 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OhmLab says

I am looking forward to this thread! Thanks for starting it, John. I’ve been contemplating the upgrade myself…

Cheers! OhmLab

436 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
studio_21 says

One thing I can say is that you are really lucky if you buy the whole pack :) It is a monster! :)

I`ve been using quite several products from Komplete and they are very high quality. It will also kinda kill your processor no matter how fast your pc is (if you go too crazy with effects and instruments) but of course it will be manageable.

Moreover, it all depends on your inspiration and picking the right sounds. You can have the best library in the world, it`s all about how you mix it. I think Komplete 8 is amazing in terms of quality.

I use Fl studio (with a variety of vsts) ;) Happy mixing! :)

334 posts
+4 more

Thanks studio_21… yea, I use Absynth 5 & the Emotional Piano by tonehammer (now soundiron) which uses the Kontakt 4 player.

By the way, there are ways to still use the plugins a lot without pegging the CPU and HDD too much. One of those ways (in Logic at least) is to “bounce regions” and then mute the midi track. Also, using sends for your effects rather than putting them on each track, if the effect is used for multiple tracks that is. Not sure how any of that would work in FL Studio though. Not that you asked me for my 2 cents… you probably already knew all that.

The reason I’m looking to purchase KOMPLETE is because I need the full version of KONTAKT 5 to upgrade the Emotional Piano to version 2 which fixes some issues that would help me tremendously. KONTAKT 5 by itself is only $120 less than KOMPLETE 8 , which makes KOMPLETE a complete no brainer ;)

Though, my biggest problem now is that I’m not sure I can clear up enough HDD space to accommodate the 100GB of samples.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Also, does anyone use a particular workflow on a macbook pro that allows for minimal HDD usage without major sacrifices in Logic’s performance?

John

436 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
studio_21 says
unseenbattle said
Thanks studio_21… yea, I use Absynth 5 & the Emotional Piano by tonehammer (now soundiron) which uses the Kontakt 4 player.

By the way, there are ways to still use the plugins a lot without pegging the CPU and HDD too much. One of those ways (in Logic at least) is to “bounce regions” and then mute the midi track. Also, using sends for your effects rather than putting them on each track, if the effect is used for multiple tracks that is. Not sure how any of that would work in FL Studio though. Not that you asked me for my 2 cents… you probably already knew all that.

The reason I’m looking to purchase KOMPLETE is because I need the full version of KONTAKT 5 to upgrade the Emotional Piano to version 2 which fixes some issues that would help me tremendously. KONTAKT 5 by itself is only $120 less than KOMPLETE 8 , which makes KOMPLETE a complete no brainer ;)

Though, my biggest problem now is that I’m not sure I can clear up enough HDD space to accommodate the 100GB of samples.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Also, does anyone use a particular workflow on a macbook pro that allows for minimal HDD usage without major sacrifices in Logic’s performance?

John

Are you using regular hdd or ssd ? :D It makes a huge difference to use ssd. By the way, thanks for your tips !

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

John, KOMPLETE comes with about 5,000 different pianos, most of which will be redundant if you’re using Emotional Piano. When you’re installing, you won’t need to install those, that’s for sure. Most of them are pretty iffy at best, Alicia’s Keys being the best of a bad bunch.

334 posts
+4 more
Are you using regular hdd or ssd ? :D It makes a huge difference to use ssd. By the way, thanks for your tips !

studio_21 – yea, my next big upgrade was going to be to an SSD HDD , but the price is still too high when you get to the 256GB mark, so I’ll need to either wait or be more stringent on my choices as to what I keep on the HDD . I agree though, it is definitely the greatest speed boost! :)

334 posts
+4 more
garethcoker said
John, KOMPLETE comes with about 5,000 different pianos, most of which will be redundant if you’re using Emotional Piano. When you’re installing, you won’t need to install those, that’s for sure. Most of them are pretty iffy at best, Alicia’s Keys being the best of a bad bunch.

Thanks Gareth! I didn’t realize that. The reason I was going to upgrade was for KONTAKT 5 (which is just a sampler), so that the new version 2 of emotional piano from soundiron works better (specifically in os x lion).

The more I think about this the more I realize that a ton of samples really isn’t going to do a whole lot for my workflow and creativity anyways… just going to waste a bunch of time listening through samples I most likely won’t use.

I do use Absynth 5, but not as much as I initially thought I would. A lot of times I end up using dry samples from Logic edited to my liking, the ES2 , Sculpture, EXS24 and the emotional piano anyways. The ES2 , Sculpture, and EXS24 are amazing now that I know how to use them since I got my master pro cert in Logic 9. That training made all the difference in the world.

Would you say that the KONTAKT 5 sampler is worth the $279 price tag?

Thanks, John

335 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
tiam says

I think KONTAKT 5 is great, I havnt tested the earlier version but its really good. I have ben working a lot with exs24 before but KONTAKT is a lot more powerful!! And there are tons of great sample programs for ok money.

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

KONTAKT (any version) has been the most essential part of my setup for many years.

It has evolved from originally being a pretty dodgy product, to being the most common and certainly the most stable sampling platform in the industry. Everyone makes products for it.

That said, I still think you’d be mad not to get Komplete 8. There is great stuff in there, but you have the option not to install all of it. But when you do want to try something new, you can dig in and have a look.

e.g. The orchestral stuff, it’s not the best, but it’s a good starting point. The Battery drum kits are fabulous. Absynth and Massive are great synths….. etc.etc. Guitar Rig Pro has saved me thousands of dollars in buying real amps to get the sound I want….!!

Yes you should buy Kontakt 5.

But really you should buy Komplete 8 and look at it as a lifetime investment.

by
by
by
by
by
by