5083 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I finally managed to finish the project without my computer dying. Phew, close one. It’s in the queue now… I could get my computer serviced. OR, I had an idea for another project… hmmmm what to do! Maybe I keep it under 150 layers this time and hope for the best :)

150 layers!

I’d take your machine to be serviced and in the meantime, read up on pre-composing in the AE user guide. :D

596 posts THINK DIFFERENT
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Generator says

OMG I thought more layers = more betterer….. ;)

Though kernal panics – long time, cross fingers – can’t surely be AE related.

348 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
andrenavarre says

150 layers! I’d take your machine to be serviced and in the meantime, read up on pre-composing in the AE user guide. :D

Very funny :) You know that I meant 150 pre-comps. (*quickly re-submits file with pre-comps, after googling “what is a composition?”)

348 posts
+6 more
andrenavarre says

Ok. Status recap. I was getting frequent kernel panics (mac’s BSOD ). Brought the iMac in to get checked out. Geniuses could not find the problem. They say they got to order parts. 4 days later they give it back with a new hard drive and fan. Total costs: $380. Who-ray. Start production again. Fan goes crazy (new problem). Kernel panics still happening (old problem still there). I can’t do anything with this junk, so I bring it back in. Another 4 days go by. Geniuses can’t find the problem (why are they called that if they can never find the problem! I spoke to 2 of these clowns who were trying to make me believe it was a software problem. Should have seen the look on my face!). They give it back to me with a new main logic board and replaced the fan, again. Totals costs: $680. Up to now, had to go in 2 times for the same problem, and the repair costs are like $1,000, almost the cost of a new iMac or an good PC. Luckily, nay, smartly I had Apple Care. Could have been a big slap to the face, and it would have turned me away from Apple products for the rest of my life. If I have to go in again, either I’m leaving with a new replacement or I’m leaving with security and a smashed iMac on the Genius bar. Thank you guys for convincing me to bring it in asap! For now, faith in Apple is restored. Spent the whole day today reinstalling OS, programs and plugins. Fingers crossed.

348 posts
+6 more
andrenavarre says

Haha I thought I would conclude this hilarious story of misfortune. After the second round of repairs, they handed the iMac back to me but this time they didn’t align the ports properly at the back so I couldn’t plug stuff in. Plus the kernel panic problem never went away and they were trying to tell me it was my fault. Apple really dropped the ball on this one…

Even though I had gone in 3 times for repair and spent many hours with Apple Care on the phone, they were reluctant to replace the unit, or to even be held accountable.

MIRACULOUSLY some poor young clerk working there dropped my iMac on the ground in front of everyone. So they gave me a new one ;)

Moral of this saga: when going in for repairs, trip the guy holding your computer :P

by
by
by
by
by
by