• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

But today I’m pissed off :)

I just saw that someone just release a new theme of a previous version of a popular theme he had .. just because now, it’s responsive …

What if everybody would do that … ? What would happen ?

The thing is, it’s not the first time this author try to make money over his old theme by submitted them over and over again with just a few changes .. he was releasing “Dark” and “Light” version of his theme as separate files and we had to discuss this so everybody would not start doing this and I think we face the same problem now.

This should be an update of his previous theme .. NOT A NEW THEME .

962 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

I know the one your taking about but why be pissed off with him, obviously TF knew and let them…

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

I’m not pissed off at him :)

The thing is, I would understand if someone would try to capitalize on old stuff because he’s not talented or something like this, but it’s not the case here. He is really good and creative but he’s always trying to find the fine line between what’s reasonable and what’s not just to try to make a few quick bucks.

What pisses me off is that this kind of behavior is really selfish and he doesn’t think about the fact that other guys will see this and will make “new” version with only the responsive feature.

And btw, I already know what the author will answer here .. with a 8 paragraph description of his awesome new feature.

It’s not a new theme! Do some update and stop making your customer pay everytime you make a little update.

962 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
EireStudio says

Yeah good points, can’t really argue with any of them…

2049 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

But I like the epic themes he makes. I’m not buying from him though, because then I’ll have to buy it over and over for each update! We’re beginning a new era where everything you do in WordPress is simple drag and drop, every feature you’d get in a $5000 custom job but for only $30-$50, and I’m fine with the fact when you upgrade a theme it stays buried. Someone will find it and buy it because it offers what they want, but then we have the cheats who try to get theirs back on top.

I have no idea what I just said.

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
CraftedThemes says
LandonWilson said
But I like the epic themes he makes. I’m not buying from him though, because then I’ll have to buy it over and over for each update! We’re beginning a new era where everything you do in WordPress is simple drag and drop, every feature you’d get in a $5000 custom job but for only $30-$50, and I’m fine with the fact when you upgrade a theme it stays buried. Someone will find it and buy it because it offers what they want, but then we have the cheats who try to get theirs back on top. I have no idea what I just said.

Well it make sense. Yes his themes are Epic .. and yes when you update, it get burried but it’s the way it is. If everyone make new theme with a “responsive” update .. it’ll be a mess ..

2049 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
CraftedThemes said
Well it make sense. Yes his themes are Epic .. and yes when you update, it get burried but it’s the way it is. If everyone make new theme with a “responsive” update .. it’ll be a mess ..

I think everyone should. Just to prove a point as to what a disaster it would be – or to see everyone get rejected and find out it’s an exception for staff.

217 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
NuclearThemes says

There’s nothing wrong with what the author is doing. It’s a marketing tactic and a successful one at that. This is beating the same old argument to death, take Apple as an example of the same technique being used to great success.

4317 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

Hey guys,

I understand your concerns, unfortunately, as we all know who’s the guy you’re referring to I’m gonna have to lock this thread as per the forum rules.

I will investigate the issue along with the team.

Thanks for understanding!

by
by
by
by
by
by