1036 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

I’ve just had an email from someone who purchased one of my Codecanyon items (regular license) and he wants to get it to work across several domains by loading it with some script (if that makes sense…)

Well I’m wondering if any license allows that…

Any idea ?

3435 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I’m not really sure what he means by loading it across several domains with a script, but I assume it won’t fall under the regular license as I would interpret multiple sites as multiple uses.

It may fall into the extended license if the sites can be interpreted as part of a single application, but that might be stretching it.

It sounds like the most appropriate response would be that he needs to purchase a separate regular license for each domain he wants it to be used on, regardless of how it is included in those sites.

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking :) But yes, the trick is to use it several times from 1 installation so I really don’t know what are the rules…

3435 posts
+10 more

Yeah I agree it’s kind of a grey area. The “single application” is somewhat open to interpretation. I think you can use your best judgment – if it seems these multiple domains are truly a single application, and he’s only installing it once, maybe let it slide. If they’re really distinct sites, I’d say they are three distinct applications even if there is only one installation of your product (and requires 3 licenses).

If in doubt, I’d refer him to support and recommend that he ask them for advice.

Another yardstick you might measure by is the WordPress Multisite example. I’m not sure how analogous this situation is, but in that case, you either need to buy a single license for each site or an extended license to cover them all, as they are a networked “single application”.

Hope that helps :)

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
spotnil says

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking :) But yes, the trick is to use it several times from 1 installation so I really don’t know what are the rules…

In my opinion this is a little unclear in the copyright section. I think if you send this to the support it will be helfull for all marketplaces to update the policy. I think the current policy implies that a single license should be used only on one website. But that’s not clear.

:)

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

Thanks :) Did you know that when you send a support ticket and choose “License questions” in the drop down, you get a message saying “Support cannot answer license questions”...? I’ll go for a “General Inquiry” :p

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
spotnil says

Thanks :) Did you know that when you send a support ticket and choose “License questions” in the drop down, you get a message saying “Support cannot answer license questions”...? I’ll go for a “General Inquiry” :p

no I didn’t :)

But I can give you Collis cell phone number. :P

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

Heck, good luck trying to stop them, or finding out if they breech the license rules.

For me, I’d let it pass, there is not point (IMO) trying to get them stopping them using it multi domain. If we can’t stop illegal distributing, we damn sure can’t stop people breaking license rules :)

3435 posts
+10 more

Heck, good luck trying to stop them, or finding out if they breech the license rules. For me, I’d let it pass, there is not point (IMO) trying to get them stopping them using it multi domain. If we can’t stop illegal distributing, we damn sure can’t stop people breaking license rules :)

It’s not a question of stopping them – you’re right, that’s out of our hands. It’s a question of informing them of what the license requires – especially in a situation like this, where that is not clear cut. What they do with that information is up to them. But most buyers are good people, and if they are informed that they need to buy 3 licenses, they’ll do the right thing and buy 3 licenses rather than breaking the rules :)

1036 posts
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

The staff replied that they “cannot provide advice regarding what licenses should be purchased for legal reasons” and so on, I’ll just drop it :(

by
by
by
by
by
by