33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Lmz says

This resolution completele covers potential of the human perception.
:chuckle: Haha, so far from the truth. 44.1 / 16 bit was not more or less than a compromise made by the industy in the 1980s. Although mots of listeners/consumers (and sound engineers!!) got used to it, it’s ridiculous to say that it covers human perception.

I think Noise-n-Music was referencing that human hearing roughly covers 20hz-22khz. So anything above that isn’t perceivable by human ears. A 44.1 sample rate extends way past the top of that range.

164 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Belgium
Pianojungle says

I think Noise-n-Music was referencing that human hearing roughly covers 20hz-22khz. So anything above that isn’t perceivable by human ears. A 44.1 sample rate extends way past the top of that range.

that’s not totally true actually :) a sample rate of 44.1 means that you can go up to frequencies of 22 (half of 44). It’s called the nyquist frequency. This is principle is used to prevent aliasing in audio track. So 96 goes up to 48khz (which seems totally ridiculous to me, all-tough I heard of a mastering engineer boosting his eq at 40khz because it gave a special crisp to his track)

My opinion is that you better don’t use 96khz unless you know what your doing because those high frequencies absorb a lot of your headroom without you noticing.

33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Lmz says

that’s not totally true actually :) a sample rate of 44.1 means that you can go up to frequencies of 22 (half of 44). It’s called the nyquist frequency. This is principle is used to prevent aliasing in audio track.

Good to know!

944 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • United Kingdom
+1 more
AlumoAudio says

And on that note…

33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Lmz says

And on that note…

Perfect.

543 posts
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
muscma01 says

haha that’s an awesome alumo

837 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
gbiasillo says

Lol. I was waiting for you to post that picture, Matt!

904 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Kurlykovs says
https://soundcloud.com/cyrilic/nintendo-super-mario-bros-ground-theme Nothing beats this from my childhood xD HAHAHAHA 8bit > all baby xD
339 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

Man, there is so much misinformation out there nowadays about what actually equates to “better” that I’ve almost stopped wanting to fight it. :(

The next time you find yourself imagining that 24bit playback sounds better… try this. Put a bit-reduction plugin on the master buss of a song that you are mixing. Start at 16bits and slowly reduce down to 10bits resolution.

Let me know if you hear the difference ;) Prepare to be baffled.

164 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Belgium
Pianojungle says

The next time you find yourself imagining that 24bit playback sounds better… try this. Put a bit-reduction plugin on the master buss of a song that you are mixing. Start at 16bits and slowly reduce down to 10bits resolution.

Of course 10bit is much worse. One sample has only 1024 different levels it can be at while 16bit has 65536. But once you go to higher bit-depths that number is going to increase for sure but there comes a moment when the differences are unhearable.

Comparing 16 bit and 24 bit is like comparing a machine gun that shoots 700 rpm and 900 rpm. If you stand in front of it you die anyways.

by
by
by
by
by
by