65 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ProWaveAudio says

I personally think that if a file gets to a certain age. Say 2 years, it then needs to be reviewed again if it still has 0 sales. Then the reviewer can choose to keep it or delete it based on the quality. I think this will be a good way of maintaining quality throughout time.

I also agree the search engine could be much better with more options.

1132 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

A lot of true things have been said already, but one thing seems to be overlooked :

• The overall need for music

As you can imagine, there are hundreds of thousands of website programmers / designers etc. out there, looking everyday for a website template to customize for their clients. This is big money and on big demand.

Think about which business / customer category uses our music ? How many of them have allready some musicians / producers in their network, doing customized stuff for a few bucks ? How many just take some sound fx and stuff from existing libraries or downloads for free ?

People got used to think, music is something you can get free everywhere on the web. Why should they pay for a “unkwnow” track here, if they can download a major artist track for free ? Don’t get me wrong, there are sure enough serious clients out there willing to pay for our music, but it’s just a much smaller market then for Webtemplates, Videos etc.

262 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
W3llm4n says

I really think that the search machine needs to be improved. I have tried to find my files using some of the tags I used in the description and I just cant find my file. I think that other improvement the search machine could have is to be able to search by the BPM of the songs and the lenght of the songs.

I have also think about selling collections… I mean I think customers sometimes are more willing to buy a whole collection rather than just one song. Maybe the reviewers could arrange a collection and make a deal with the authors and see if all the authors in the collection can make a deal and sell the whole collection for a good price..I dont know if this is already possible.. but if no, I think it could work.

480 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says
PeterWayneAudio said
I personally think that if a file gets to a certain age. Say 2 years, it then needs to be reviewed again if it still has 0 sales. Then the reviewer can choose to keep it or delete it based on the quality. I think this will be a good way of maintaining quality throughout time.

+1. I like this idea. I wonder how much man-power that would take for AJ?

Maybe there’s a way for authors to self-edit their portfolios? The formula might get too complicated, but what if an author could only carry a maximum of 20 percent of their portfolio in unsold files that are over 1 year old? Maybe it should be a specific number maximum and not a percentage? This could clean up the unsold percentage dramatically, eliminate the need for AJ to spend resources and time deleting files, and allow authors to make the choices themselves to either protect or eliminate tracks from their portfolios.

scoringaudiogeeks
scoringaudiogeeks Recent Posts Threads Started
591 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
scoringaudiogeeks says
pinkzebra said
PeterWayneAudio said

+1. I like this idea. I wonder how much man-power that would take for AJ?

Maybe there’s a way for authors to self-edit their portfolios? The formula might get too complicated, but what if an author could only carry a maximum of 20 percent of their portfolio in unsold files that are over 1 year old? Maybe it should be a specific number maximum and not a percentage? This could clean up the unsold percentage dramatically, eliminate the need for AJ to spend resources and time deleting files, and allow authors to make the choices themselves to either protect or eliminate tracks from their portfolios.

That would be great though there would be signifant decrease in portfolio but it would serve greater good and inspire to make better quality songs :)

702 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
OhmLab says

I feel I should also add one point to this thread that is never mentioned when this kind of topic comes up here in the forums. AJ requires that all bundles have the individual files uploaded on their own as well as in the bundle. I know of many authors who have uploaded upwards of 10 files just to have the option of selling them all at a significant discount in a bundle and then really only market the bundle outside of the Envato community. As you can imagine this would quickly skew the stats globally across all authors in the marketplace. Just one more thing to consider when looking at a stat like this one. :)

Romosel-Exclusive
Romosel-Exclusive Recent Posts Threads Started
361 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
Romosel-Exclusive says
scoringaudiogeeks said
Search engine should be much more versatile. Like narrowing down results depending on desired length etc.

+1

677 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ZtarrZound says

The request for search engine improvements are starting to sound like beating a dead horse honestly.

And +1 to doing something with files over 12-18 months old with 0 sales. Having almost half of all files with no sales at all is a little alarming IMO .

135 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
biala says

This thread is full of stupid ideas!

To explain it I will say it that way : If you sort the files by sales in any music marketplace you will see that the sales are almost exponentially going down when you scroll down the items and the number of items with the same number of sales is increasing the same way. So it is naturally to have the most items with 0 sales. Even more – the more sales of the top item leads to more items with 0 sales.

To explain this for the totally lost minds – if you delete all items except the top one, the result will not be all sales to go to that item but you will most probably end with 1 item with 0 sales.

So deleting these items will surely lead to less sales for all of the others. (If some stupid one still don’t trust me he can try to sort his own items by sales and delete the bottom half of his portfolio. Then just watch your sales….)

So … 1. these items are not low quality ones.

2. the music buyers seems to need more variety of items to listen to until they find the right one

3. AJ approves more than 150 items every week so if they all have sale that will lead to millions of sales of the top items – which is not the case.

4. Every item with no sales can turn to one with sales for just a second

So I will report this all thread to the moderators as an absurd one. And all of you should just get used to the music market :)

431 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thesecession says

I think quality control could just be a little harsher, especially at this point since the marketplace is over saturated with files. In my opinion, Aj should invest 100% of their time and money to getting higher on the google search list for “royalty free music” then bother with the little things :P

by
by
by
by
by
by