310 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
ceasar says

I have some improvement suggestions and would like to now what you think about these.

First. Questions from buyers. Sellers who don’t respond within 1 or 2 month’s (or sooner) the app should be deleted or put onhold.

It is very annoying that you buy an item and it doesn’t seem to work anymore. I know you can report that app to the staff but that will be mostly forgotten. Also it looks like a lot of apps are abandoned. This will harm the reputation because buyers will not return.

Second. Some coders say you will have to use for example php 5.2.3 as an minimum but they use functions which are not availible on all servers so the app doesn’t work. I think the developers should do more debugging or the reviewers should pay attention to this. For example I bought a few items which require the json_encode function. On my live server this isn’t installed so a developer can not assume that this funtion always exists.

Now it feels sometimes like opensource. Someone drops an app on codecanyon and the buyers are beta testers. This also takes a lot of time and doesn’t courage you to buy a second license for the following client because sometimes it feelss like you rewritten the whole app. This is bad for the sales.

I think the standard should be higher at an developing level for buyers to trust what they buy works for 95 %

I am curious for your opion and I hope envato will read this :)

Ceasar

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

This should be posted in Site Feedback.

First off, I’m sure we all agree that everything in the marketplace should work as advertised. If not, the product will be removed/deactivated. That’s Envato’s policy.

You can’t expect a piece of code to work immediately in any arbitrary server environment. Clearly, certain pieces of code require certain modules or settings to run properly. I see nothing wrong with that—as long as these requirements are clearly stated on the product page. As long as that is the case, I believe it is the buyer’s responsibility to make sure their environment meets the minimum requirements or else make the appropriate updates/changes. It also seems reasonable to me that functionality that would be found in a “default” setup (for example, modules that are automatically activated with PHP 5 +, or PHP modules that are already required to run WordPress in the case of a WP plugin) do not need to be listed as a requirement. With PHP , for example, you can always install these extra modules easily anyway. It’s impossible to test in every conceivable environment.

As to your first point, products here are sold “as is” and sellers are not required to provide support. So deactivating products for which support is not given wouldn’t make sense. Clearly, if the product does not work, however, it should be removed from the marketplace (Envato also offers refunds if a product truly does not work as stated in the product description).

Personally, I think it needs to be made clearer that buyers should not expect support (though most authors go out of their way to help buyers), so we don’t set false expectations.

I absolutely agree that the standard should be very high here :) I think Envato does a great job of ensuring that in general. I expect that as this marketplace matures more and more, this standard will get stricter and stricter. I’m sure there will be course-correction along the way. Perhaps as we move along some older files will need to be purged, as well.

310 posts
+7 more
ceasar says

As to your first point, products here are sold “as is” and sellers are not required to provide support. So deactivating products for which support is not given wouldn’t make sense. Clearly, if the product does not work, however, it should be removed from the marketplace (Envato also offers refunds if a product truly does not work as stated in the product description).

Okay. I understand. But this ask for some participation from the buyers because they will have to report an issue with an app. I think they don’t do that. Same why most of the items are not rated.

I always thought that codecanyon is a marketplace where you can buy high standards apps. I don’t always see that.

69 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
bilawal360 says

Okay. I understand. But this ask for some participation from the buyers because they will have to report an issue with an app. I think they don’t do that. Same why most of the items are not rated.

I always thought that codecanyon is a marketplace where you can buy high standards apps. I don’t always see that.

ceasar, I’m assuming when you’re talking about the json_decode() function you are referring to the APIReader script that I created as you posted the same matter on the product discussion. How can we not assume it won’t be installed? It clearly states on the PHP 5 .2.0 specification that it’s got json_decode functions included so then it becomes a problem with your server environment.

Most of the products you’ll find on CodeCanyon for under $20 are simply components that require some knowledge of implementation (by following the documentation, that is) and these are the ones which are most likely to create issues depending on your server environment. As I’m personally new to creating products on CodeCanyon, though I’ve been developing for 7-8 years, I’ve only be used to developing on my custom-made server environment. I have tried my best to eliminate these issues adequately, and as I build more and more products, without a doubt I’ll learn to phase out these issues naturally.

It’s a working product, but like with a fair amount of scripts out there, they’re likely to bring up issues for the odd server environment. We try our best to eliminate the issues, but there shouldn’t be a 24-hour expectation from us. We’re humans too.

310 posts
+7 more
ceasar says

I didn’t refer to only your app. All these aps here are mostly quite simple. For coding the only problem is that it should work in most cases to be a good app. I made the same misstake with my own app but I updated it many times so it should work in most environments now. I am the leader of minicms http://www.minicms.eu/home.html and the only updates involves special server environments. This takes all our time but I think at the end the app will be better and our name will be standing for a great product. So it will atracts more buyers. The same goes for codecanyon I think.

36 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
hunzonian says

I think it would be fair for the developers to simply add a disclaimer as to the functioning and performance within the multitude of different environments and server setups. Even better would be to add it in Code Canyon’s licensing agreement.

The very first thing a buyer should know is that they shouldn’t be looking on code canyon for an enterprise level application or script. I don’t know about anyone else but I just wouldn’t trust a $10 script to do that for me.

Many buyers think they can get around hiring a developer and actually paying for the product by purchasing a script for some pocket change. Then they feel that there is still room for a lifetime of support and daily complaints.

...and if everything goes well, they want to turn around and make thousands by offering the product in the applications they hack together for their clients.

99% of the emails I receive implies that people don’t even read the licensing agreement. More than 50% doesn’t even know that it exists.

Over 70% does not read the documentation or does not go beyond the screen-shots and the first two paragraphs.

A good 30% does not even read the product description…???

Any product sold on the marketplace should work as advertised, and developers should not embellish on their product description that may mislead the customer.

Customers should have pre-sale questions to make sure they are getting what they think they are getting, have a general familiarity with the technology and their production environment setup, performance and limitations.

To expect a developer to create an application that will work and perform in all environments and configurations and sell the product $10-$20 would be ludicrous.

Some scripts sold on Code Canyon are small enough to ensure the highest quality and flexibility while others are very large and immensely complex. To expect the same for the later is not reasonable given the context and premise the marketplace functions in.

by
by
by
by
by
by