• Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says

Originally posted by Collis Ta’eed on Envato Notes

\\

As many of our Envato Marketplace authors will know, I recently posted up on Notes about Use of Assets in Previews on Envato Marketplaces. We’ve had a lot of discussion on the post and the forums, and I’m going to be following up on the post with a series here on Notes to clarify and educate authors more on these issues.

It’s really important to us that all our authors understand how to respect other people’s intellectual property. At the end of the day, intellectual property is what is being sold on the Envato Marketplaces, so it just makes sense that we should be respectful and mindful of others as we wish them to be of our own. There’s lots of articles in the Wiki’s Copyright section which are worth reading as a refresher.

Important: read our content policy and review your portfolio

In particular I wanted to draw your attention to our Content Policy article on the wiki. This was formerly posted under the title “Copyright Policy”, and we’ve just updated it with more detail.

It’s worth a close read to make sure you understand how Envato approaches important intellectual property issues. By and large Envato authors are both careful and respectful of intellectual property, but I think it’s always good to refresh and deepen your understanding.

So, we are asking all our authors to take a look at their portfolio of items across Envato marketplaces to make sure that they comply with our Content Policy and Membership Terms. I appreciate this may take some time if you have a large number of items, so we are giving our authors until March 12th to do this.

Remember, any asset that you haven’t created yourself must be properly licensed, including for use in previews. And all photos used within marketplace items, including previews, must be model released (which effectively excludes photos of celebrities). See What Images, Videos, Illustrations or Music can I use in My Item?

As we outline in our content policy, if an author is the subject of repeat DMCA take down notices, we will disable that author’s account. We may also disable author accounts for alleged violations of other intellectual property rights, or where we consider an author to have repeatedly violated our Content Policy or Membership Terms.

I’ve arranged for more posts here on Notes to clarify questions around usage of videos from YouTube, trademark and brand guidelines, and resources authors can use such as creative commons licensed items and preview files from other marketplaces. So stay tuned!

And if you have any questions you think would be worth clarifying, please ask in the comments. I’ll try to answer as many as I can, and turn any big ones into Notes posts!

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

Looking good :)

Will be useful to have more posts giving more information on usage

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Quick – maybe silly question – are we supposed to upload license now to our themes or prove it somehow? I’ve got photography themes, where I use photos taken by my sister. I have of course her approval for usage of this photos in my live previews, but it was rather “Hey, sis, can I use your photos? – Sure!” than same legal agreement signed by us. Should I do that now?

339 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
andre28 says

Like purethemes said, i asked for permissions to several people on blogs or deviant art asking if an image could be included in my previews, most of the times. Of course i don’t have now a legal agreement. How should i do in these situations?

Also, if someone is not able to fix an item by the deadline of 12 march, is it possible to ask to hide the item from the marketplace until it will be ok?

31 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
beiker says

Nice photo!

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Nice photo!

I hope it was properly licensed! :D

186 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Chile
+4 more
Doren says

Dumb question sorry.

75 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
agushardiman says

Ok, thanks for reminding me…although some graphics that accompany my music are free, but I’m worried, so I change it to something that is safe i.e. my own drawing / lettering :)

381 posts
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
GoodLayers says
2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Is this one cab be used? http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistybushell/2228156682/ Thanks!

Yes but you must attribute the work.

by
by
by
by
by
by