381 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
redfactory says

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to make some image size presets for in the wordpress media browser? There are four default sizes, which can be adjusted in the wordpress settings, but I would like to add some more for the slider, special thumbnails etc. Best without a plugin, which is more user friendly in my opinion.

Does anyone have a solution?

Cheers! :)

2444 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Well, I only know of the add_image_size() function.

Was that what you were after?

381 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
redfactory says
Well, I only know of the add_image_size() function. Was that what you were after?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I’ve been over that function a couple of times but it doesnt quite seem to do what I want. To be honest, I don’t really see what add_image_size() is doing at all. I’ve added the function to the functions.php file, but there is no change in the backend.

I’m either forgetting something or it’s not the function I’m after ;) Anyone has an idea of how to add image size presets for the wordpress media browser?

Thanks!

741 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

Actually Wordpress post thumbnails are doing exactly what you need, but you won’t find anything related to them in Wordpress admin area (maybe except the option to choose featured image when adding a post).

Read this article to learn how to use Wordpress post thumbnails.

This way you will be able so specify several image sizes that only you – the developer will use in your template and leave the four default sizes for the user to use in his posts.

2444 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says
Well, I only know of the add_image_size() function. Was that what you were after?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I’ve been over that function a couple of times but it doesnt quite seem to do what I want. To be honest, I don’t really see what add_image_size() is doing at all. I’ve added the function to the functions.php file, but there is no change in the backend.

I’m either forgetting something or it’s not the function I’m after ;) Anyone has an idea of how to add image size presets for the wordpress media browser?

Thanks!

Oh sorry, totally forgot. As pogoking said, you do need to enable post-thumbnails and then you’ll see the new image sizes :)

688 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
_rg_ says

Also, if you already have images uploaded, and then add a new add_image_size() you need to upload the image again, or use some plugin to re-create thumbs. Since wp create thumbs for each image once you upload it. If you just add a new image size but, using same images you already uploaded, you will see different things, since thumbs are not created.

The best plugin to do this on all the images at same time is this one:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

:)

What Redfactory says, i guess, is why there´s no “Instert [new image size] on post” or similar on the uploader thickbox once you attach or upload an image. I thought the same, may be in future they´ll add something like that so you can insert on posts and pages your customs thumbs sizes and not just “thumb” “medium” and “large”.

The last thing i did in a theme was to add a meta_box on posts and pages to select the featured image size to be used. So i have 6 diferent sizes defined on functions.php and user could choose which to use for that post/page.

Again, the plugin i mentioned is very usefull, i can change while developing all the new sizes and recreate thumbs each time for preview them. Without plugin i will need to upload images again each time i change sizes!

381 posts
+6 more
redfactory says

Thanks all! I’ll see if I can get this thing to work :)

Cheers!

by
by
by
by
by
by