266 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
harrykirkby says

Just wanted to share my current horror with my iMac since May and wondering if anyone has had the same.

First off, I want to say I love my Mac, it’s beautiful, elegant, and works (when it wants) amazingly. I started getting Wifi problems with it, say starting about one month ago, which frustrated me tremendously. It worked perfectly on my Windows side but as soon as I went back to Lion it started randomly disconnecting. Called support, they said yeah update, did, worked again and started disconnecting. It’s hell. I’ve now gone to the extreme of deleting my OS and re-installing, I went to re-install and it says it does not have access to do so and I need to contact Apple Care, luckily I still have a month left on my free one.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I’ve tried EVERY online Wifi trick from renewing DCHP license to re-setting it all but it keeps happening. I need help!

Apple are calling me tomorrow morning.

R3GeneralDesigns
R3GeneralDesigns Recent Posts Threads Started
93 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
R3GeneralDesigns says

Hey Harry

Firstly try to connect using ethernet cable, to check possible wifi router problems. But I think this wont be…

If you have the option, pick a wireless USB adapter, just for try if your airport have some manufacturing problems. Is not common, but not impossible.

Also notice that Lion is a very new OSX , could be an operating system bug. Try to place another mac with an older operating system in your network (maybe a friend of you have one)

1844 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

The only problem I still have with mine is the “smudge mark” effect on my screen.

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

As R3GeneralDesigns pointed out, Lion is still relatively new software which may have only been released long after your Wifi hardware was created.

With enough complaints about bugs like this, Apple tend to patch them pretty quickly.

If you still have a month left on your Warranty, I would recommend going back to the store and taking out Apple Care, which extends your Warranty for another 2 years.

To the rest of us, it’s something like £300, to a student, only £50 and well worth it.

113 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
Sneek says

The only problem I still have with mine is the “smudge mark” effect on my screen.

Thats the dust within the screen isn’t it?

1844 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
ShermanJackson says

Thats the dust within the screen isn’t it?

Nope, it’s not dust, it has to do with heat. This problem is with the 2010 iMacs only.

1620 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

I’ve had similar problems with a friends Mac. Here’s what I did to fix it: connect ethernet cable > test bandwidth > double check using wifi and compare (note that wifi tends to have slower connection than with cable) > run diagnostic on the router (if nothing wrong, continue with following steps, if wrong, trash it and buy a new router) > reset router to factory settings > update your OS > force update router (unless it updates on it’s own after reset) > run diagnostics once more – restart your Mac and happy surf ;)

In 7 out of 10 cases it’s the router that’s messing with your connection as some routers, believe it or not, still aren’t 100% compatible with Mac (I recommend Netgear or Apple Airport for best connectivity).

In 3 out of 10 cases it’s the Airport in your Mac, can usually be fixed by a manual update from Apple, more information here – http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1481

If neither of the steps helps, go to an Apple Store and let them fix it (as you still have some time left of your warranty).

Good luck! :)

266 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
harrykirkby says

God I’ve pondered.

So anyway, after 6 haunting hours on the phone to the very polite Apple staff (again, I’m not discouraging them I love Apple completely but this fault put me off a ton), I was referred to many fixes on the matter, ranging from ‘Renewing the DCHP license/lease’ to a bunch of other removing the wifi, re-adding, changing channels stuff.

Eventually, I had enough. I caved in and thought ‘this isn’t worth the hassle’, rang up Apple and asked to speak to their head. Ended up speaking to a polite gentleman who I asked if I could go get a refund, he said sure, say there is a technical fault and we’ll get you refunded.

I went up to my local Comet PLC store, and it all changed. The Comet staff member got on the phone to Apple, they then said I can’t have a refund, and I was given my own personal ‘head of tech’ guy to help me. Since this, I’ve not received contact from him at all. I have emailed him and not gained any response so I guess I’m going to have to live with it myself.

I have re-installed MacOSX, updated to Lion and updated all the drivers, it seems to of fixed it for now, however in the process I lost all my programs which pee’d me off a bit. Let’s just hope Mountain Lion makes up for it.

by
by
by
by
by
by