439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Pixelous says

Hi, everyone, I saw a similar post here recently but can’t find it via searching. Could someone say it’s allowed to use icon fonts in theme development to be accepted on TF? If yes, should I pack this font to my theme or I should use a li?k into it in such a way <link href=’http://somefont/css?family=Family' rel=’stylesheet’ type=’text/css’> ?

140 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
codeblvck says

Yeh mate you can use icon fonts. If the font author permits the use you would be better off adding font to your download package.

439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Pixelous says

Yeh mate you can use icon fonts. If the font author permits the use you would be better off adding font to your download package.

Thanks for the reply, u sure I can use them? How do u know about that? Do u use them at your theme?

140 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
codeblvck says

i only have one theme available, the other one i have just submitted but that uses font awesome. Alot of templates use icon fonts, specifically this one its a standard for bootstrap. Just like jquery plugins it just depends on the license of the font if you are allowed to use it in a commercial project.

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
nagaemas says
It was clarified in this thread :) http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/clarification-on-including-icon-fonts-in-themes/73312

Just look at the Icon Font licence statement.. if it’s allowed, then it should be no problem to include it in your download package. Font awesome for example, has a CC BY 3 .0 licence, so it should be no problem as long as you attribute the work.

470 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Israel
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
virtuti says

And this: “I don’t know what’s all the fuss about this — sure it’s a bit of a pain — but you just need to place an empty folder called ‘Fonts’ and write in the docs where they can download and where to paste the fonts files.”?

I do not include font@face fonts (following the above quoted instruction) and already got a complain from a buyer.

707 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
ChillThemes says

And this: “I don’t know what’s all the fuss about this — sure it’s a bit of a pain — but you just need to place an empty folder called ‘Fonts’ and write in the docs where they can download and where to paste the fonts files.”? I do not include font@face fonts (following the above quoted instruction) and already got a complain from a buyer.

I had to do that when we weren’t allowed to include font awesome fonts in the final download, which caused my item to be rated low a few times because a few were claiming it didn’t work as intended/couldn’t get the fonts to work.

I’m guessing they don’t read the documentation, it’s like when you buy something new, you toss the directions aside and start messing around with the product.

by
by
by
by
by
by