5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Hope your current work is safe with the older version / license; however releasing a new version after knowing the original author’s bitterness is risky.
Maybe, but my project is 95% done and from the law side I am clean…

I have to agree with VF. Yeah it sucks that you may have spent a lot of time on your project, but when it comes to using other people’s code we should always respect their wishes. But if the project can’t exist without the plugin, to salvage the project I’d definately try to strike a percentage deal with him/her.

335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Tamixes says

The dividing line is doing what is right (according to the law) or doing what is right (according to your morals).

When I first started selling on the marketplace it gave me a renewed respect for the authors of the stuff I download for free. I tend to operate on an honor principle and treat the work of others the way I want my work to be treated. I would have to agree that the author of the script made a bad business choice by releasing the source code under MIT license.

Sometimes the people that hold the most potential, and are the greatest assets to a particular industry/craft, due to their focus and love for their craft, are also very bad at business/entrepreneurship.

2195 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
mpc says

HI, he doesn’t want to sell me the commercial license, he wants a % from each sale, I think this is mad…

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Then, if you’re not ok with that, you shouldn’t include his code in new projects, even if you legally could use the older version.

You may lose development time but, afterall, you would still get income from previous items based on his work.

3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

The best cure for the past, is the present. Have you considered a partnership for future items?

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

HI, he doesn’t want to sell me the commercial license, he wants a % from each sale, I think this is mad…
The good thing is you have proof of old license terms in github: https://github.com/blasten/turn.js/commit/8db4c68a16aca1d82bd0eedd8ead5c187772e4b9

So your previous upload will be always legally safe. Regarding the 2nd product, make sure that if it is legal to use the same old licensed version after the license terms change. You may need to verify it with a lawyer or atleast with Envato before upload (this is just to avoid dmca abuse like minor damages, MIT is still on your side).

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+6 more
LucidStudios says

You should convince him that you have put a lot of efforts into your products and it’s just his script e.g. css, html, custom js, documentation etc. and on the top you have to provide the support so may be 70:30 or 60:40 will be good deal for both of you for the new product you are developing.

523 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
Zeplix says

Why is that mad? That’s the way a lot of stuff works. It’s the way old stock websites worked for the Author, before royalty-free became the norm. It’s also the way Envato works, taking a cut of each sale. It’s quite the norm in a lot of other industries too, the music industry for example. So I don’t see what’s “mad” about what he asks.

Now I’m not gonna talk about the legal issues here, I think they have been covered plenty as is. Rather, just the “moral” side of things. I must admit, I feel a bit bad for the guy. Granted, his reaction made him out to be a douchebag, but I think that merely stems from the fact that he was a bit shocked and disappointed. He clearly never thought his script would be worth anything major, would probably just be used on some websites here and there, or would be further developed by others with his stuff as a pillar, giving him a solid boost. He then found out what he just gave away was actually worth money. And he’s disappointed. I can understand that completely. It’s the same throughout history, when we see great inventors that sell the rights to amazing work for a penny, because they don’t realize what they have.

Legally you have nothing to fear, morally you did nothing wrong at the time, but I certainly understand why he’s reacting the way he is.

2195 posts
+13 more
mpc says

Why is that mad? That’s the way a lot of stuff works. It’s the way old stock websites worked for the Author, before royalty-free became the norm. It’s also the way Envato works, taking a cut of each sale. It’s quite the norm in a lot of other industries too, the music industry for example. So I don’t see what’s “mad” about what he asks.

This is mad because I don’t have to pay him anything, but I am willing to buy a commercial license. Instead of earning some money he want a cut from each sale, sorry but it depends on amount of my work how many sales I will get out of it and not his. I will release the new project under the MIT license of his script.

When someone releases a script under a MIT license he should consider others making money out of it.
2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Instead of earning some money he want a cut from each sale, sorry but it depends on amount of my work how many sales I will get out of it and not his. I will release the new project under the MIT license of his script.
you can’t upload your item without using his code, yet you say “sales only depends on my work” ?
by
by
by
by
by
by