2197 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+13 more
mpc says

Hi guys, I run into unpleasant situation and I need your opinion. In one of my products I am using a jQuery plugin which was licensed under MIT license (until yesterday). When the creator of the script saw that you can make money out of it he changed the license to non-commercial BSD (which doesn’t allow redistribution of the script for monetary gain). I know that the law doesn’t work backwards in time so he cannot do anything about the copies I have already sold but what about selling this product in the feature? Also I am developing (finishing) another product based on this plugin, please tell me what you think about this.

In my opinion I can still sell the product with the old version of the script under MIT license and I can develop new products based on the old script which was licensed under MIT . The new license should apply only to the newest version of the script.

2197 posts
+13 more
mpc says
1028 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Like the guy on SO said, I also think that your interpretation is correct.

But did you try to talk with author of that script? Maybe he could give you permission to use it for a % of sales.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
MelforDMThemes says

«He changed the license because he wanted me to give him 75% of the income I made, when I disagree with him he changed the license… – mpcreation 8 mins ago»

what a horrible situation :/

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

It’s a hard say, first this start to be overall trend by many developer’s as they start killing existent MIT license, from what i see once the license change you cannot sell new item using that script .

But don’t go far Kuba man if you remember in other life where you develop flash items GS change his MIT license and we couldn’t sold our work if we use his class without proper pay license ,this is why i was so against that move and all our community had to change our envato items or pay for license so i never ever use his class (not that i use it before anyway) .

Those guys take the advantage of the popular script and on the first success they change the license vs if you believe in your work give the proper license and don’t mess with us :P . Look at GS now, a fade memory in our history (not cos` of license) :P

1028 posts It's in the pipeline!
+7 more
purethemes says

75% :shocked:

3751 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

There isn’t any similar library, mit licensed? Even if you need to change/improve it further, i guess it should be the path to follow. Honestly, sometimes i think why not so many authors of mit licensed scripts start to do the same, looking at how much money others are making with their work.

6072 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

That’s a horrible change. It is understandable that the guys who spend much time on programming/math may not aware about licensing chaos / ethics / commercial aspects. No doubt the script was rare and epic. This shows MIT licence from anonymous authors / community always having risk.

Hope your current work is safe with the older version / license; however releasing a new version after knowing the original author’s bitterness is risky.

2197 posts
+13 more
mpc says

It’s a hard say, first this start to be overall trend by many developer’s as they start killing existent MIT license, from what i see once the license change you cannot sell new item using that script .

In the ‘eyes of law’ once script is released under a MIT license it stays like this forever and I can do whatever I want with it until I violate the MIT license. Once the license is changed ‘new version’ of script is created which I cannot use. But the old script (which I am using) is still under MIT license. Law doesn’t work backwards in time…

2197 posts
+13 more
mpc says

Hope your current work is safe with the older version / license; however releasing a new version after knowing the original author’s bitterness is risky.

Maybe, but my project is 95% done and from the law side I am clean…

by
by
by
by
by
by