3719 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

I’m not sure about you, Carlos, but this incident has made me think about signing up for a service such as Backblaze. Can anyone vouch for Backblaze or similar services?

2145 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Great info, Carlos. I’m glad you resolved this issue.

111 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
wallfish says

Man! That’s such a sad thing. I signed up with Box.net last year and have 1 TB and I back it up every time I shut down my system.

4327 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

That sucks Carlos. I use Dropbox for all my important data. $9.99/m for 100GB is a nothing, I bet your information worth more than that.

98 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
Minkki says

What a good news, Carlos! I imagine how happy you must be right now :)

I wasn’t so lucky as you. I lost the hard drive with all my files 3 months ago due to mechanical failure, and I didn’t manage to recover them. I took the HDD to a Data Recovery Shop, but they told me nothing can be done, my data is lost forever :( I was devastated, I had so many rare files on that HDD (music, movies, documents, photos, graphics), files that can’t be found on the net anymore.

Now I save my files on an external hard disk of 2TB, and I intend to get another one because, you know, external HDD’s can also fail. I also bought an UPS, though I never had problems caused by power failure. But it’s always better to be cautious and to prevent…

1739 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
gbs says

Congrats Carlos :) would love to hear more from you guys, it would be very useful experiences for all of us. This should deserve a blog post too :D

1244 posts Sr. Mockup Crafter
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+9 more
CarlosViloria says

I’m not sure about you, Carlos, but this incident has made me think about signing up for a service such as Backblaze. Can anyone vouch for Backblaze or similar services?

Compadre, for the moment I will use Dropbox as does Ivor

That sucks Carlos. I use Dropbox for all my important data. $9.99/m for 100GB is a nothing, I bet your information worth more than that.

I’m organizing all the information yet, ranking the most important things and as I never want to go back a scare like this, I’m disconnecting the CPU whenever I stop using the PC :)

436 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
studio_21 says

How about always having an external hdd and saving all your work there too.

3701 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

I’m currently using my (free 25GB) Dropbox account for backing up all my data (as has been suggested more than once in this thread), but I find that feasible mainly because the nature of my work generally ensures small file sizes. The story is a different one entirely for graphics or video guys, I suppose.

I’m a bit eerie on the whole restoring from a semi-crashed system, though. Perhaps I should do a test run sometime (i.e. clone my HDD, simulate a failure and try to restore from dropbox). The thing that scares me is that one cannot do a full roll-back, and having to un-delete thousands of files manually is a Herculean task I do not wish to endavour on.. Sure, this only happens when Dropbox still gets a minute to tell the server ‘Hey, this bloke just deleted all his data. Mark the files as deleted’, but that’s a possible scenario (however not likely).

I feel sufficiently safe storing my data in Dropbox as a means of backup and it has proved worthwhile more than once for single corrupted files, as well. Do use strong crypto for your confidential files, though.

by
by
by
by
by
by